Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your truck is relatively stock, stick with the OEM heat range. If you are running heavy mods (especially if you run a power adder like a supercharger or nitrous) or are experiencing detonation, it is recommended that you try a shorter/colder plug to help control the combustion process. Some sample part #'s are listed below.

Autolite Standard Length:
OEM Heat Range: 5224
1 Step Colder: 5223
2 Steps Colder: 5222

Autolite Shorter Length:
OEM Heat Range: 3924
1 Step Colder: 3923
2 Steps Colder: 3922

NGK Standard Length:
OEM Heat Range: ZFR5F-11
1 Step Colder: ZFR6F-11
2 Steps Colder: ZFR7F-11

NGK V-Groove Plugs:
OEM Heat Range: BKR5E
1 Step Colder: BKR6E
2 Steps Colder: BKR7E

·
Registered
728 Posts
one thing to add. alot of us always think (hearing from others) that autolite is the best way to go. knowing this i went and bought autolites. don`t remember the exact #. but the 04`s come with ngk`s. just to let everyone know.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
What Gap to set your Sparkplugs at:

This is a common question with an easy answer. Whatever the factory recommends for the stock ignition system on your vehicle.

If you are running an aftermarket coil and/or ignition system (MSD, Accel, etc,), normally you can open the gap up by .005" - .010" more than factory specifications. However, with Supercharging or Nitrous applications, you would want to reduce the gap about .005" due to the higher cylinder pressures that occur with both Superchargers and Nitrous. If you plan on using the Autolite 3923 sparkplugs in your Magnum engine, stick with the same guidelines.

·
Registered
50 Posts
suffolk_mopar said:
one thing to add. alot of us always think (hearing from others) that autolite is the best way to go. knowing this i went and bought autolites. don`t remember the exact #. but the 04`s come with ngk`s. just to let everyone know.
My 04 did not have NGKs it had Autolites. It now has NGKs as I swapped to them at 35K miles

·
Registered
41 Posts
i dont have a s/c or a turbo but i was thinkin about goin two steps cooler, would it help or would it hurt, wanted to ask before i laid down ne cash
thanx

·
Blown and Squirted
2,513 Posts
I dunno if it would HURT, but its certaintly not going to help you. I would stick with one range, or stock.

I dont think you should have any detonation probs with those mods on I assume a v6 b/c it says v8 TB and no performance computer, so the timing isnt even advanced that far. You might wanna stick with the stock ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.