Dakota Durango Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
14,342 Posts
How are you twisting them?? There is a split that runs the entire length of the heat shield. Garb hold right on the edge where the split is twist it into itself so it kind of rolls itself up around the jaw of the pliers. I've actually had one wrap itself around the pliers I was using because I had to twist it that much that I had to use another pair of pliers to get it off the first pair. This will break it away from the sides of the head and then should pull right out.

· Banned
12,273 Posts
Did mine today, took a while on the first two and got a blister from twisting, metal is pretty strong to bend. After those two, the rest came out like a breeze.

A tip: Take pliers and insert them deep on one side of the slit, close to the plug and then bend down once and hard. Then twist and pull a little and it will slip right out!

3,871 Posts
blow out the spark plug n shield with compressed air, remove the spark plug, grab the shield with some good size pliers and give it a wiggle or tap with a hammer and it should come off, these things are nothing but a problem as they hold grit n dirt around the sprak plugs and when the plugs are removed the crap can fall into the engine and cause pre-mature wear problems

· *********.COM
740 Posts
What kind of plug wires are you running after removing these? Do you still need to run the OE style wires, or can you switch to the more conventional style?

· Banned
12,273 Posts
Use the tip I provided and they will come out quick, no need to remove the plugs.

· Premium Member
14,342 Posts
Grab twist pull. There is a slot on them as they aren't tubes. Grab with pair of pliers on edge of the slit, twist inward to roll it into itself and pull out. If they've been in for a while and kind of rusted might have to twist them pretty good to break them loose.

· Registered
1 Posts
Drive a screwdriver down around the outside of the shield(tube) which will loosen it up and you should be able to wiggle and pull it out. You may break the spark plug off but you'll still be able to get a socket on it for removal.

· Registered
97 Posts
If you are trying to remove the heat shields with the plugs in place, then that's 90% of your problem. You can't get them to bend enough with the plugs in place to break away from the edges.
What do you do when you can't get the plug out because the shield (or rust and crud on the shield) is blocking your socket from removing the spark plug?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.