Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have removed several plugs in my day, and had a bad day today. Plug broke off in the head. Below the bolt, thread is still in there. The actual porcelin (spelling) pulled right out of the middle of the thread. Please tell me someone can fix this without having to yank the head.

I am kinda embarrassed, but I know I didnt apply too much pressure. These were the original cheapo champion plugs. Was trying to change over to the AP3923s for better gas mileage

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
You can try one of those easy outs made by Craftsman they work real well. You just need to be very carefull, if just one small piece of that plug falls into the cyld. your in trouble.

It always pays to use anti seize on the plugs threads.

·
Sideways on Sundays
984 Posts
I had the same problem with those stupid arse factory champion plugs. I had all of about 400 miles on my truck when I decided to swap em out for the autolite 3923's. Every last one of those 8 bastards broke off. I pulled both heads, cause I didn't want to take any chances. :cussing:

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
blk03rt said:
I had the same problem with those stupid arse factory champion plugs. I had all of about 400 miles on my truck when I decided to swap em out for the autolite 3923's. Every last one of those 8 bastards broke off. I pulled both heads, cause I didn't want to take any chances. :cussing:
Holy shit, i would have been :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: And then i would call the dealership i bought the truck from and start :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I managed to get the remains of the plug out. Actually father in law (lifetime mechanic) came over and got it out in about 10 min. Said the champion plugs put into the dodge from factory wher sh*t. The actual porcelin that runs through the center came completely out all the way down to the electrode.

All I can say is that before anyone starts to break their factory plugs go get some "blaster" penetrator and let it sit for quite awhile before attempting to break loose. Tap the plugs to break free just a little, spray some more, let sit, and go back in a couple of hours to get them the rest of the way out.

Also, the anti-seize better work the next time I go to pull the plugs. Put in the 3923s and noticed an immediate difference in the takeoff and the performance. So far pleased with the decision to go with the 3923s.

Thanks for everyones help

G

·
When I swapped my plugs out at the time before last I used anti-seize and when I changed them again this last time 30,000 miles later they broke loose with very little effort. Very pleased because the original champions were a [email protected]*r to get out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I managed to get the remains of the plug out. Actually father in law (lifetime mechanic) came over and got it out in about 10 min. Said the champion plugs put into the dodge from factory wher sh*t. The actual porcelin that runs through the center came completely out all the way down to the electrode.

All I can say is that before anyone starts to break their factory plugs go get some "blaster" penetrator and let it sit for quite awhile before attempting to break loose. Tap the plugs to break free just a little, spray some more, let sit, and go back in a couple of hours to get them the rest of the way out.

Also, the anti-seize better work the next time I go to pull the plugs. Put in the 3923s and noticed an immediate difference in the takeoff and the performance. So far pleased with the decision to go with the 3923s.

Thanks for everyones help
So I have the same problem now. #4 cylinder has a crappy champion broke off just the same as your was. So how did your father in law get it out? I have broken every 3/8 extension I have and it won't budge.

·
Premium Member
14,342 Posts
So I have the same problem now. #4 cylinder has a crappy champion broke off just the same as your was. So how did your father in law get it out? I have broken every 3/8 extension I have and it won't budge.
Try using a 1/2 drive instead of 3/8. Use some PB Blaster and let it soak before trying. And the easy out extractors work good at griping them should you round off the hex.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Definitely do the PB Blaster soak mentioned, another thing to try is warming the engine up, sometimes it makes it downright easy.

Oh, yeah, the Ford forums have tons of info about how to remove broken spark plugs from 2000-2001 Triton V8's. Different problem cause, same result.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.