Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been needing to change the oil for about a week now and I finally get to it today after work. I have a 1999 Durango 5.2l 4x4 and I got down there to take off the oil plug and the damn thing wont budge. The 15m socket is too small and the 17m is too big so I'm guessing it's a 16m, but I dont HAVE a 16m socket in my socket kit for some reason. So I try the pliars. but they don't budge it. I try the locking pliars, they lock on, but wont me even with all my strength, so I hit the thing with a hammer (getting really frustrated) and the damn thing STILL won't budge. only thing that happened was the pliars came off.

If anyone has an idea to get the damn plug out, let me know. B/c I'm just getting really P*ssed off.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Uhhhh, yeah. Get a 16mm socket.

If that doesn't help, it wouldn't hurt to get somethin with a longer handle.

Longer handle = more leverage = less work

Good luck with that. If all else fails, just take it to somewhere to get your oil changed and let them deal with it :mullet:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
thats exactly why i bought the fram drain plug. unscrew the dust cap and screw on the hose and it drains. very great idea.

as for hard to break loose crap like that i use a gorilla bar i bought off tire rack. all it is is a breaker bar. never met a challenge yet it didn`t work on.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dakotaR/T2003 said:
go get a 16mm socket :biggthump
It's a little late now.. lol. But my bro-in-law is a mechanic and I'm going to get his off his truck when he gets home.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sicminds0088 said:
If that doesn't help, it wouldn't hurt to get somethin with a longer handle.

Longer handle = more leverage = less work

Good luck with that. If all else fails, just take it to somewhere to get your oil changed and let them deal with it :mullet:
The pliars slip on the bolt, so I dunno. I might just have to bite the bullet and go ahead and pay for someone else to do it and fix it. Thing is, I've already bought the oil... so it's a double loss of money to get someone else to do it.

Wicked R/T said:
I just use a big crescent wrench
I tried that too, it just slips... damn this sucks.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Seems like you already tried the colorful language... So my only other advice to you is hit it with some Carb Cleaner... It'll shrink up the metal a wee bit (since it gets cold as it's evaporating) and it'll get you a superclean surface to work with. Laugh all you want, but it worked like a charm on a Coil Spring Retainer bolt on the front of a F150 with a 1/4 million miles on the STOCK BOLT... Soooo Neener Neener Neener!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MeanThree18 said:
Seems like you already tried the colorful language... So my only other advice to you is hit it with some Carb Cleaner... It'll shrink up the metal a wee bit (since it gets cold as it's evaporating) and it'll get you a superclean surface to work with. Laugh all you want, but it worked like a charm on a Coil Spring Retainer bolt on the front of a F150 with a 1/4 million miles on the STOCK BOLT... Soooo Neener Neener Neener!
I got the 16mm and that didn't work, so I got 5/8 and that didn't work, I tried all the sockets around those sizes and none of those worked... .so DAMN! I just don't know what to do with this thing anymore....

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Bigguy18LSU77 said:
I got the 16mm and that didn't work, so I got 5/8 and that didn't work, I tried all the sockets around those sizes and none of those worked... .so DAMN! I just don't know what to do with this thing anymore....
You are turning it the right way, right?.........lol j/k

Hmmm my only other suggestion would be to get some PB blaster or liquid wrench and spray that on there, let it sit for a few min. and have at it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WicKed R/T said:
You are turning it the right way, right?.........lol j/k

Hmmm my only other suggestion would be to get some PB blaster or liquid wrench and spray that on there, let it sit for a few min. and have at it.
clockwise right? lmao j/k. Yeah I'm turning it the right way. I'll have to go at it tomorrow. it's a little too late tonight.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
somethings up if you`re having this much trouble. go buy the fram quick drain kit for like $12. and let jiffy lube do it but have them install the fram kit.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah... looks like I'm just going to have to get that kit and get someone else to change the oil for me (damn it).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sometimes The Oil Change Places Wont Change The Oil With The Quick Drain. I Have It On Mine And Niether Walmart Or Our Lube Place Wont Change The Oil(wal-mart Sells The Damn Things)and I Have The That Twist In And If Ur Not Carefull The Hose Will Fling Oil Everwhere Before U Have It Seated Right

·
Registered
582 Posts
yup it's 5/8's use 1/2 inch drive stuff. Make sure you're using a 6 point socket and go to town. Don't let yourself be embarrassed when some high school jiffy-boy succeeds where you failed

·
2000 6.7 R/T
371 Posts
Mines a 5/8" on my truck. Try an open end box wrench. The threads could be cross threaded in there from the last idiots who changed the oil. This is why i do everything to my truck. :banana2:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Brandon00RT said:
Mines a 5/8" on my truck. Try an open end box wrench. The threads could be cross threaded in there from the last idiots who changed the oil. This is why i do everything to my truck. :banana2:

good point. if ya do it yourself ya at least know it`s done and done right.
as for the hose on the fram kit i took that off cause i had the same slinging point. but it does illiminate the need to get hot oil on your hand and burn yourself. and also takes care of the stuck drain plug problem.
i just find it easier. unscrew the dust cap, screw on the hose thingy (which all it is is a plunger to release the check valve that prevents the oil from leaking out) then do the filter and u`r in there.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took my 5/8 socket and hammered it onto the plug and FINALLY got it off with the socket wrench... look and see why I had the problems-

I had never changed the oil in it (just started driving it) and my dad had it before me and he changed the oil in it last(that I know of). So I guess either he or the guy he had to change the oil stripped the plug completely. I bought the fram kit and installed that today.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts