Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to get a temporary system till my money came in. So, I have this (it was free) until then. The box is one I had from a long time ago and it works GREAT. I just need something that will remove the turn-on thump. I had to fix the right one b/c the dust shield was coming off so I had to use silicone to seal it back on. oh well, it still bumps rather well, so I'm happy

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
woohoo I won! DO I get a trophy or anything?

My boy just bought an Explorer with 2 15"s (Memphis) and hits 152db on the driverside head rest. So I was kinda pissed when he bought that and and didn't do it himself... although it is an AWESOME system. I need to ask him what sensor they used for those readings though.

·
Registered
598 Posts
probably an Audiocontrol, doubt a t-lab. Thats where they put the mic about in MECA reality SPL, and only a few street cars did over a 150 at world finals.

But either way, a 150 is good on any mic :mullet:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My cousin was at his dads house on the other side of the pond (1/4 mile away) and said he could hear the system (mine) INSIDE the house clearly.... so I was pretty happy :mullet: At first he said he just wanted my amp, now he wants my entire system. lol If I only had a cross over I could REALLY slamming it. Oh well, I pushed the speaker box over behind the passenger seat and the right speaker (looking at it) is behind the middle console and that sucker is still VERY loud, especially on that side of the truck I could probably turn the box on it's end.... but that wouldn't be worth the trouble. I'm kind of curious what I'm hitting with it now.... it's rattling my lungs and makes it hard to breath.

Even my cous said that when he looked at the speakers, he didn't think they'd be loud. Especially at how old and raggedy they look. But he was pleasantly surprised. Which just goes to show you, its not the looks that count, (not completely at least) it's how you set it up and play with it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Bigguy18LSU77 said:
Which just goes to show you, its not the looks that count, (not completely at least) it's how you set it up and play with it.
exactly, it doesn't matter what it says on the dustcap, thats only a small part of makin something sound good.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just talked to my bud with the Memphis 15"s and he said the previous owner told him it hit 158db on the dash. (It's an expedition, not explorer, sorry on that). But I'm going to see if I can get him somewhere where they can get a termlab sensor on that sucker to see what he's REALLY hitting.

Another friend (The one who gave me these subs) had 4 Memphis PR15"s in a slot vent box in the back of his van and hit 154 db's legal. (I was there) and he was using my 4400w amp.... but we'll see how long he keeps it. lol.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sat in my friends expedition (Sp?) and there is no way he's hitting 158db. It goes up to 32 on the cd player, and it was on 20.. so I doubt it will get much louder.

Anyway, I have to sell my dad's durango. ( :sorry: ) but I will have enough left over after paying for funeral etc. (my uncle picked up the tab and I"m paying him back) so I have two options. a bad ass stereo system, or a 71 Road Runner.... what should I do?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
welllll.. the road runner is in a junkyard, so it needs some work. The interior is still good (amazingly) and still has good rims and tires, the body is in good shape only rust on it is on the rear driverside panel but there is a new panel in the trunk, and a new door for some reason? The car doesn't have an engine or transmission but came with a 440+6 and the guy has that motor if I wanted to buy it seperately with a transmission. But w/out the motor and tranny he wants 3k for it. Which the car is completely primer grey and everything on it looks original, only thing missing is the front bumper, grill, and lights. Soooooo it's debatable right now on which one I want. If nothing else I'm going to get a 360ci from him to drop in my dakota :woowoo: :mullet: and I'll have the bad ass system in my dak if I do that... sooo it will be a pretty sweet set up. But the road runner is a classic car and a BAD ASS one at that. I'm going to do a paint job similar to this yellow one >> http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/605430/3 except it will have a dust trail where the bottom black stripe is and have the road runner at the front bumper.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the Amplifier my friend is "buying" but I'm getting the sucker back from him in a couple weeks. The subs are the Memphis PR 15"s in his single cab 82 Ram, with a cowboy box.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol. It's always fun, but the crappy @$$ amp burned up so I have no sound any more :rant:

I've been thinking about buying a decent 1600watt amp and another PowerAcoustik SQ12 and get rid of those crappy 12"s, but I have to come up with the money for college books and food before I can afford to do that.

Oh well. I've been sitting in my classes at college, contemplating a box for 4 12"s instead of 2 15"s. I'm stuck between either going with 4 Memphis M3Mojo 12"s or the best 12"s from RE (not sure which model they are).

The MAAudio amp should be able to provide plenty of power to them, but I'm going to throw in 2 Optima YellowTop batteries to make sure the amp gets plenty of juice.... the latest I should have the system in by, is in May.. hopefully I'll have it done way before then, but you never know.

G

·
bigguy, is that sony speakers I see in the rear in your truck?

Anyways, you guys got systems goin. I'm hitting 136.9 with 1 12 in my Durango :biggthump . Oh yeah, and I'm sealed. I'm not about spl anymore though, which is why I only have 1 12, and I rarely even turn my amp and bass up, but when I want it, it's there. I'm more towards SQ right now, I like enjoying the full range of my music now rather than bump bump bump :banana2: .

I'm a newb to this site and have only had my Durango for 3 months.

·
Registered
598 Posts
If I were you I wouldnt try to do 4 12s in an extended cab. You can fit it but its tight unless you're going sealed. And sealed just sux anyway ;) And if you go with the REs, you're gonna want a lot lot more power. I had 2 XXX12s running that took 2500rms each for daily. And if you're talking about MTs they can take even more than that. I'd stick with 2 subs and run the sh1t out of em instead of 4. For your power I'd go with either the M3Mojos or the SX's.

P.S. My buddy is getting rid of 4 RE SX 12s. I think 2 have been spoken for already, but he has 2 more left. He also has 2 Crossfire vr2000s, if you are interested hit me up on AIM--JohnnyKo12

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JohnnyKo12 said:
If I were you I wouldnt try to do 4 12s in an extended cab. You can fit it but its tight unless you're going sealed. And sealed just sux anyway ;) And if you go with the REs, you're gonna want a lot lot more power. I had 2 XXX12s running that took 2500rms each for daily. And if you're talking about MTs they can take even more than that. I'd stick with 2 subs and run the sh1t out of em instead of 4. For your power I'd go with either the M3Mojos or the SX's.

P.S. My buddy is getting rid of 4 RE SX 12s. I think 2 have been spoken for already, but he has 2 more left. He also has 2 Crossfire vr2000s, if you are interested hit me up on AIM--JohnnyKo12

2500rms EACH for daily... so that means one 2500wRMS amp for each speaker? HOLY SHIT, that's a sh*tload of power for 2 12's. How much air space does each speaker need for a slot vent box and what size vent? I thought that the MA HK802SX would be able to handle them, but I guess I was wrong. The amp puts out 4,400RMS at 1ohm (bridged), or 2200wRMS x 2 at 1/2 ohm.... I've got a lot of calculations, and box design ideas to work on, as well as where I am going to place the amp, batteries etc... I promise it will be an awesome install though, and I'm going to take pictures as I'm putting it in.

·
Registered
598 Posts
yup, it was one amp per sub. RE underrates their power handlings a little. PPL have run 3KW to one xxx, just gotta be safe about it, but 1600-1800 is enough. Quick few pics of my setup :
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/214000-214999/214211_92_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/214000-214999/214211_94_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/214000-214999/214211_87_full.jpg

But for the 12s I'd do at least 2 cubes per sub, maybe like 40 inches of port. OOOOH!! I love ppl designing new systems. You need a new thread on it, lets get crackin on a plan! :):)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well... this is what the basic box design will look like. I'm going to mount the amplifier (Possibly two) in the center, I'm going to recess it into the box so that I can a plexiglass shield in front of it and have neons on all the corners so that it will glow there, as well as have neon inside the box, glowing through the ports.

Sorry, about the drawings... it's just that scanning my paper drawing didn't work too well. So I had to do it on Paint.

That is what it's going to look like from the front without the seats in it. I'm taking EVERYTHING out from the front seats back and going to do a wall. I'm going to see how much my friend will charge me to weld up the side and rear windows in my truck (on the extra cab) and paint it to match my truck. If I dont have enough room in the cab for the amp, I'll just place them in the bed of the truck and build a seperate structure in there with extra batteries, caps etc. I still want 4 12"s... it's just a beautiful number :biggthump: also, I'm going to dynamat the whole interior... so it's going to be almost sound proof. (this is going to be an all-out install) I'm saving up a LOT of money for this. and also the lawsuit will help :cool: Also... plexiglass windows and I've got a hook up for a bullet-proof windshield.. so I don't think I'm going to blow anything out.... umm Ex that.. maybe an eardrum.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.