Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 02 r/t and just wanted to know what kind of exhaust setup this thing has stock. How many cats are there? when i look under the hood towards the firewall it looks like there is one canister on each side of the manifold right before it goes under the truck, what are these? Im wanting to know if i should just put a magnaflow cat on it or go with the muffler and cat combo. I dont really want to loose any horsepower or torque with the setup so wich would flow better, the stock muffler or a magnaflow both with a 3" pipe all the way back? My 99 ram with a 5.2 sounded perfect with a magnaflow cat and muffler and 3" pipe and i want my r/t to sound the same because right now it sounds weak compared to my old ram, and my 5.2 picked up a ton of power from that combo and im hopeing to get the same or better results from the 5.9. any help would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Those "canisters" are cats. And if you look there should be 02 sensors before and after each one. Also further on down the exhaust you will se a big "canister"......that is a resinator (sp?) but im sure it restricts airflow in some way. If you want to gain some power go with a full 3in exhaust and get rid of those cats by putting on some pph headers for a 2000 r/t. You will need to buy simm boxes to trick the 02s into thinking you still have the stock cats on there. I think thats it.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do you trick the simm, sry I dont know about this!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told by the stupid dealer today that they are both resonators but i dont know i did see an O2 sensor plugged in before cannister on the drivers side. I spoke to soon about that dealer they ended up feeding me a bunch of bs today by telling me that it is normal for the 02 r/ts to shift at 3300rpm going into 3rd. I shift at almost 5000 everywhere else accept going second to third and they said this is normal and the tranny is in specs and there is nothing they can do about it. The truck wont even downshift into second at 40mph just tries to accelerate from about 2k rpms and is slow as hell. Any help you guys could give me on this would be sooper i know its a change in subject and in the wrong area but this is my biggest concern right now and made me completely forget about upgrades because i thought the truck woud drive like it was suppose to when i got it back.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My 03 does the same thing. When going about 40 the darn thing hangs in OD and is a dog. If I am in traffic I will turn off the OD and it shifts much better. When I am pissing off a Mustang GT or some other junk of a ride I turn off the OD.

You can change the shift points by using a Hypertec and you can install a shift kit. Dodge should have offered a 5 speed manual and then life would be good.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
God i would love a manual tranny in this truck i was just telling my buddy that last night and wondering how hard it would be to get one in here that would handle the 5.9, It would probably cost more money than its worth but damn it would be cool.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
I know of 1 R/T that has a manual tranny! I think it cost him a little over $6k. If you want to talk to him his screen name is youngb on www.madrt.com and he lives in/did live in asheville nc. Just down the road from me.

·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
I have an 02 and is has 3 cats. 2 precats in the y-pipe and one main cat after it. I now have GSM headers and exhaust with cats. Frees up alot of Hps removeing the stock y-pipe :D

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gsm states that their headers are not smog legal. will a gsm header/exhaust with cats still pass emissions? id love to go that route but i live in cali. :rant:

·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
nah you probably wont pass the smog nazzis in cali

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i can get around the visual, just gotta pass the sniffer.

·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
If you can get around visual than the system with cats will probably pass. I think Scott Q got his durango to pass the sniffer.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A buddy of mine here has an '01 R/T. I live in cali too. Through out the year, he's just running a flex pipe in place of the cat, then when he goes to the retarded sniffer, he bolts on the cat with some hose clamps. Works enough to pass smog, sounds bad ass when the flex pipe is on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts