Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 3.9 auto. It has 153k miles on the clock. I'm doing the basic tuneup tommorow, but I have been doing some snooping around here and have some questions to ask.

I have that ticking noise that a lot of people apparently have and it's usually atributed to the timing chain. I have to check the past services on it, but if it's supposed to be changed at 80k, well, thats coming aorund pretty damn soon. Whats the usual cost on this job. I have no problem doing repairs outside the engine but I don't like craking it open myself so I'd rather leave that up to a shop.

Also, someone mentioned the clutch fan being really noisy. I have a hell of an noise like that when the truck's cold and I was told by the previous owner that the clutch fan should be replaced. The sound is intermittent and only from a stop, and usually only last till about 30 mph. One thing that piques my interest on this is that the temp gauge is ALWAYS on the low side of the operating range. Is this normal or could it be that my clutch fan isn't disengaging and always spinning via engine motion, therefore keeping it always really cool?

·
Chest Thumper
770 Posts
blackrat said:
I have a 97 3.9 auto. It has 153k miles on the clock. I'm doing the basic tuneup tommorow, but I have been doing some snooping around here and have some questions to ask.

I have that ticking noise that a lot of people apparently have and it's usually atributed to the timing chain. I have to check the past services on it, but if it's supposed to be changed at 80k, well, thats coming aorund pretty damn soon. Whats the usual cost on this job. I have no problem doing repairs outside the engine but I don't like craking it open myself so I'd rather leave that up to a shop.

Also, someone mentioned the clutch fan being really noisy. I have a hell of an noise like that when the truck's cold and I was told by the previous owner that the clutch fan should be replaced. The sound is intermittent and only from a stop, and usually only last till about 30 mph. One thing that piques my interest on this is that the temp gauge is ALWAYS on the low side of the operating range. Is this normal or could it be that my clutch fan isn't disengaging and always spinning via engine motion, therefore keeping it always really cool?
few things, when u do the timming chain pick up a mopar double roller. same one the 318's use. for the fan...take it off! put a electric one on. its a good mod will quiet it down and can b doen for under 70. for the temp stayin on the low side whats low 160? the stat could of failed in the open position so the truck never really reaches operating temp, or the owner put a low temp t stat in

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.