Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a little engine cleanup, polishing and painting, its amazing how shiny you can get that dull aluminum with a little polish.

BEFORE: I did start to polish some of the A/C lines before this pictures

AFTER:

Still have a lot of engine to do, but i think this is a good start.

What do you think, is the yellow too ricey, or does it look alright?

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
damn!! now im going to polish my stuff too...looks great, what did you use?

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started by removing EVERYTHING, I couldnt take the A/C pump all the way off cuz to remove the hoses I would have had to recharge it, but i pulled it out onto the radiator support to work on it easier, then removed the alternator, and some of the pulleys, i left the power steering pump on but thats about it.

I cleaned the whole thing with brake caliper cleaner because it has a lot of power and cleans most everything off under its own power without scrubbing, plus it evaporates almost instantly.

I painted the yellow with the same ceramic paint i used on the brake calipers (Wal-mart special) but it works really good. It took about 8 coats over everything. Make sure you mask off stuff you dont want painted like bolt heads and surrounding things, its really easy to get sloppy with the paint.

To polish I just used Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. Just rubbed it on by hand and worked it in till a lot of black residue forms then clean it off. I had to do it many many times to get it to shine.

On the alternator I had to use a small wire wheel and a dremel because the metal was in bad shape, so i went over the whole thing lightly with that then polished it up.

And that's about it. I still have a LOT more to do, just figuring out colors and parts I need. I was gonna clean the intake up and paint it gloss black, but I might get an M-1 instead, then maybe paint that black. Not sure on the color scheme quite yet.

·
eat cheese or die!
663 Posts
looking good!! i polished my engine right after i bought it and everything was still new. love the way it looks. had a guy at a car show ask me if the chrome makes it faster. i told him it was hand polished not chrome.

Attachments

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Holly Crap! That looks GREAT! Very Very impressive!

I got bored one day and polished the AC Lines on my Cummins since the stock paint was all crappy and comming off... Definatly NOT worth the effort! It was my 4x4 that I went mudding in. Oddly enough, 1 mud hole, and I now has silver lines instead of chrome ones... Ugh! Oh well maybe someday I'll learn! If I get an M1 I think I am going to polish it up, and get a clear powdercoat on it, so that I don't have to polish it again and again and again. I like things that are shiney, don't get me wrong, but UGH constantly polishing things SUCKS!

·
Administrator
79,422 Posts
I hate when people have to say that stuff. "Does the chrome make it go faster" Yeah it makes it go faster dillhole. If they don't like it don't look at it. If you like the way it looks thats all that matters. I think it looks very nice.
I used to get that crap when I had my Eclipse all the time. I had it all done up. It looked good enough to get it stolen. :dammit: R.I.P.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
DAKSPORT1PA said:
I hate when people have to say that stuff. "Does the chrome make it go faster" Yeah it makes it go faster dillhole. If they don't like it don't look at it. If you like the way it looks thats all that matters. I think it looks very nice.
I used to get that crap when I had my Eclipse all the time. I had it all done up. It looked good enough to get it stolen. :dammit: R.I.P.
cant have nothing nice can we? its getting so that we have to keep the armed bit bull with aids on board in the truck nowadays dont we...?

:rant:

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Wow, nice job! I am not sure if I have the patience for that. I will give it a shot if my new house ever does not need something to fixed or improved!

·
Administrator
79,422 Posts
realdeal7369 said:
cant have nothing nice can we? its getting so that we have to keep the armed bit bull with aids on board in the truck nowadays dont we...?

:rant:
Yeah it sucks. People always think if its nice and its not theirs lets wreck it or take it. Bastards :cussing:

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Nice job, a few months ago id did my ac lines. I want to do teh alternator and AC. I figure I can take off the AC compressor and run a short belt. but its soo damn hot around here. And I cant really live without the alternator lol.

The stuff I did with mothers a few months ago is still holding up. And for everyone who hasnt done this yet, be prepared for many blisters on ur hands. It is well worth it, mothers is awsome.

·
Registered
43 Posts
looks awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wish i had a good colour that would go with amberfire. keep up the great work :biggthump :banana2:

·
eat cheese or die!
663 Posts
it takes a ton of elbow grease and more than a few hours but it's worth the effort.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.