Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the last week I've been doing some basic maintenance stuff with it execpt motor oil (has another couple thousand to go, too soon now). I've gotten the transmission flushed and changed, front and rear differential oil changed. Front and rear brake rotors turned, and replaced all old brake pads with new ceramics. Replaced the belt too, the old one didn't look bad but it was making the engine kinda noisy at idle. May get some new bushings for almost every suspension component too, but I havent looked into what all I will need, nor how much it will cost.

Anything else I should do?:huh: The truck still literally runs like new.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Honestly, you're fine. Don't worry about it at all.

As far as bushing and such go, just keep an eye on them. If they start to go brittle, loose or make lots of noise, work on them then.

You've got the trans and axles done, how about the t-case? Brake fluid? Power steering fluid? These are all areas that need attention as well. I like to flush the power steering and brake fluid at LEAST every two years. Brake fluid attracts moisture which lowers the boiling point of the fluid and accelerates corrosion.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Brakes and power steering flush, I can think about that stuff some other day. I had the transfer case oil changed today so thats out of the way. All the bushings I've looked (just about everything I can see) at, look like they're rotting up! My torsion bars are making a shit load of noise over any bump on the road and they even make a little creaking sound when I slow to a stop, or get in and out of the truck. I spray some white lithium grease all the time, on the point where they hang off the bottom of the frame, next to the control arm. That gets rid of the noise for about week, its gotten pretty bad with this cold ass air! Are their any bushings on that part and where they connect to the bottom control arm?

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
You sound good to go. :mullet:

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Hit the bushings with a little shot of PB Blaster. Fixed the squeak that I had...that was about three years ago.

If the bushings are still tight, they don't need replaced really. The t-bars have no bushings. A-arms and sway bar are the only bushings.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So are their replacable bushings for the torsion bar?

·
Registered
517 Posts
No bushings in the torsion bar at all. One side has the adjuster (a bolt that pushes against it to load it) and on the other side it fits directly into the lower suspension arm. My truck has the squeaks, sprayed it with lube yesterday in fact. It was the front stabilizer bar bushings, specifically- the two that mount to the cross member. But I sprayed it at the lower arms as well. Sounded great today :rockwoot:
Andrew

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll probably buy some new spark plugs next week. Whats the best brand to go with?

·
14 cylinders
2,101 Posts
Seems like you take pretty good care of it. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. Miles don't mean shit.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after doing searches it seems that the NGK V Power spark plugs is the best bet. The motor still runs good and smooth but I wanna replace the old plugs anyways. If they're the original factory's, they must be in pretty bad shape I'd imagine.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Got the plugs changed out except one, ONE!! Cause I didn't have a universal joint thats needed to get to the #8 spark plug being that its way back almost under the windshield. I'm assuming that the plugs I pulled out are factory's since they are Champion plugs. And here's what they look like with 94k miles. Pics were taken with my Moto Droid. It does pretty good Macro close up shots :eek:nethumb:

EDIT: Oh yeah, the truck runs unbelievably smooth now with the new NGK's, you cant even feel it running!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My brother told me today that I should have them gapped... Does that REALLY need to be done to the plugs?

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
My brother told me today that I should have them gapped... Does that REALLY need to be done to the plugs?
yes! but usually the proper plug for the truck is pregapped, but you never know if one was ever dropped in the box and closed the gap a few thousandths

1 - 15 of 15 Posts