Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just a poor shlep......
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little bit of background in case you haven't followed, installed 2" blocks, 2" spindles, and new balljoints back in July of '08. Ever since the handling wasn't the greatest even after I performed three alignments to get it "better".

So anyways, I installed some new shocks two months ago and a problem persisted. The problem is when it would rain just enough to get the road damp, the truck would want to swap ends in any curve at any speed with power applied. Scary things to have happening especially around here where the edge of the road nearly overhangs off the side of a mountain. you could coast through but then you would have an overloaded coal truck running you over. Now if the pavement was dry, no problems what so ever or any that could be detected.

Today, the weather finally cooperated enough for me to install some cheapo Advance swaybar links, $6 each, I had ordered. When I installed the new shocks, I noticed a small witness mark on the swaybar of the tierod possibly hitting it. First off, I noticed that you can NOT use everything supplied in the link kit. If you do, the tierod rubs the swaybar. I used the old original dodge supplied spacers to make the gap larger and get the distance a little bit larger then needed.

After I had this all swapped out, I took it for a verification test drive. It is raining here, so this would be a good test of the theory. So far so good. The truck handles decently for the amount of water on the road and still coming down. I'll really know something more when the road dries up.

Now it's time to fix the HUGE bumpsteer issue as the tierods slope UPWARDS toward the spindle from the rack and get it realigned to a more corner friendly performance oriented spec.

Thanks for reading this book.
Brian

·
Low 'N Slow
635 Posts
huh, ill have to remember that for when i get sway parts. I have two inch spindles and my tierods are perfectly alignable. Although i might have to replace m passenger side one soon.

Reactions: Ranger50

·
Just a poor shlep......
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is perfectly alignable. It is just as the suspension goes through its motions, the toe is changing in or out due to the difference in arc paths. This can make the chassis very twitchy and unpredictable.

Ideally, the tierod should be at the same height and angle as the control arm to minimize the bumpsteer. To eliminate this on my truck, I need to drop the outer tierod height at the spindle about 1/2" and eyeball it again. But then I have to watch out as the rod end will be VERY close to rubbing on the rim itself, I only have stock 15's on it.

But alas, the factory will put some bumpsteer in to produce some understeer and limit the drivers "ability" to drive a vehicle when at the limit.

Brian

·
Low 'N Slow
635 Posts
I only have 15's also.. so i dont know why my truck poses none of these problems. who made your spindles? mine's western chassis

·
Just a poor shlep......
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BellTech

1 - 6 of 6 Posts