Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i bought a 99 durango with 60k on the clock and two slung rods.... i found another used motor with 108k and purchased it from a salvage yard... when i started to install new gaskets i found just as much sludge buildup as the old motor....1/4 inch thick in some places..... now i know sludge buildup has been common in these motors but what should i do? how should i go about cleaning up the sludge? or should i just try to get another one from the salvage yard? short on cash and just want to get my durango on the road

·
Registered
384 Posts
When I tore my block down it was filthy inside, but had little wear. Busted out the power washer, got it as clean as I could. Then I went to town with a wire wheel and a drill to get all the flaky stuff off. Power washed it again and re-assembled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.... thats basically what my buddy told me..... guess i just needed to hear it from some one else

·
Registered
384 Posts
Make sure to replace all the freeze plugs while you are at it! That was the whole reason I took my motor out, had a bad one on the back and under the motor mount. Plus a bad rear seal.

Anyways, my water jackets were full of mud somehow. Took alot of powerwashing to get all that shit out. Have fun man :wave:

B

·
0 Posts
Make sure to replace all the freeze plugs while you are at it! That was the whole reason I took my motor out, had a bad one on the back and under the motor mount. Plus a bad rear seal.

Anyways, my water jackets were full of mud somehow. Took alot of powerwashing to get all that shit out. Have fun man :wave:
The 'mud' in the water jackets was caused by mixing the Dex-Cool and regular green antifreeze coolants. That is a real big no-no!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts