Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, 4 days since I purchased my 2000 quad cab dakota with the 5.9L 4X4, Towing package. So far I love it.

But there's a problem. It takes too long to start. I'd guess about 3 seconds. At first it was just when it was cold but now it seems to happen regardless of how long it's been off. I'm headed back to the dealer with it next week to "look in to it" but I'm not very encouraged by them. (They've got their money now and would just assume be rid of me.) :cussing:

Has anyone had similar experiences or can anyone shed some light on this?

The battery seems fine and the starter doesn't sound like it's slow or lagging, just seems to take too long for the truck to fire up.

If it matters it's sitting at about 66,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Plugs, cap and rotor for starters. The 5.9 is a bit hard on plugs and if they have not been changed then they are past due.

Try the NAPA brass cap and rotor and a set of V groove NGK plugs.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
also see if turning the key on for about 5 seconds to the run position before going to the start position helps. if it does your fuel pressure is bleeding off, good luck

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I think they are right, if the battry and started is good, then i would look into a Tune-up, at 66k it is time, if it has not been done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
360 xrt said:
also see if turning the key on for about 5 seconds to the run position before going to the start position helps. if it does your fuel pressure is bleeding off, good luck
OK, I'll try that. IF this is the case, is there anything I can do about it on my own or is this a problem for the local mechanic to tackle?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
You can tune it up yourself if you want to, it's not that hard, or take it somewhere that your call.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea how to do my own tune up. I can probably master the new wires/plugs on my own.

It was covered under the dealer's short term (five day) warranty so they have my truck overnight.... Salesman were scumbags but the mechanic seemed pretty straight forward.

If you're looking at buying in SW Missouri, I CANNOT reccommend Reliable Chevrolet. :cussing: :redx:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 360xrt!!

Just wanted to say thanks. Just got it back from the dealer. Although I can't say much good about the dealership as a whole I did get surprisingly good and open minded service from their shop. They replaced the entire "fuel pump assembly" forgive my ingnorance of precise terms. He said it was losing fuel pressure. Good to know I already suspected that from the help I received here!

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
paramedicthad said:
I CANNOT reccommend Reliable Chevrolet. :cussing: :redx:
There's your problem bro.... you bought a quality machine from a bunch of chebby boys... like they know how to take care of it. :p

lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts