Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Dakota
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, on my 98 Dakota I get A noise when engaging or disengaging the clutch when the engine is hot. The pedal gets somewhat sticky as well. It’s not as smooth as on a cold start. I had someone push the clutch pedal while I was underneath the truck and the slave cylinder does not feel smooth on the engagement and disengagement. Is the slave cylinder going bad? I have a video, any one know how to add one?

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
below is a video for the replacement in a RAM. Its the same process for the Dak. The only issues i had when i did mine a few months ago was I ended up using a dremel with a cutting wheel to remove the Pin from the firewall. There just wasn't enough room to get it out. I also had to loosen the Master Brake Cylinder. Other that those two issues, it was fairly easy. Make sure you get the pre-filled slave cylinder with the reservoir.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Mine made a loud squeaking noise when i pushed in the clutch, but only when it was above 75 degrees outside. The sound never got worse, just irritating every time i heard it. i stopped driving with the windows down. it was loud in the cab, but terrible next to the engine.

There is a plastic washer with what looks like a foam washer on the pin that connects to the clutch pedal. Make sure you don't lose them and add them to the new pin. If not, your clutch pedal will travel farther and it will be more difficult to start your truck. (don't ask how i know. lol)

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Dakota
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, thanks Dave. Sounds like a similar issue to mine. Ordering a kit soon.

·
Registered
Dodge Dakota 2010
1 Posts
If you notice a loud noise while the car is in gear and you're holding down the clutch pedal, it could be that one of the clutch cylinders is leaking, hence unable to hold the release fork properly in place and properly disengage the clutch.

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Dakota
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you notice a loud noise while the car is in gear and you're holding down the clutch pedal, it could be that one of the clutch cylinders is leaking, hence unable to hold the release fork properly in place and properly disengage the clutch.
Nope. Sound only occurs in the action of disengaging or engaging the clutch pedal. I do need to check around for leaks though. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Dakota
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the help, a new master and slave cylinder was the fix. The old slave cylinder Teflon piece was very pitted. Pretty sure it was the original part, had the dodge symbol on it. It was a real pain in the ass to replace. You will need to loosen the four nuts holding on the brake cylinder. The clutch is butter smooth, doesn’t make a sound, and it’s 100 degrees today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts