Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Medium Pimpin
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got a Sirius unit for my Durango as well as my wife's car. It comes with the built in FM Modulator and to power the unit, you just plug into the cigg lighter. My question is this. I want to hard wire the radio (like I did my remote wire on my amp) I tried just cutting the lighter adaptor off and then wiring into my radio fuse in the fuse panel with one wire and grounding the other wire on a nearby screw. But, as soon as I fire the car up, it pops the fuse i'm tapped into. What am I missing? Shouldn't this work? Help with any suggestions. Thanks in advance. :help: :cussing: :help:

·
Registered
498 Posts
IM not sure how the Serious is, but on my XM the cig adaptor was also a voltage transformer. The unit only requiers 6 volts.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Quick update. I checked the Delphi site, and mine is 6V as well. I guess if I hardwired a second cig adaptor somewhere out of site, under the dash or something, I can just plug it in there and not have any more problems...

·
5 NINE DAK
148 Posts
here ya go

exactly, i deal with this stuff all day long, most sirius units are 12 v and easy to hook up but in some cases they are 6v, so wut u have to do is get a wire that has and end on it to plug a cig lighter into, then hardwire that in, but dont use ur radio power ground, use the acessory under the dash then ground it like u would anything else.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I got my xm radio all hooked up, minus the hardwire. It's a Delphi SKYFi2. This is going to drive me nuts until I hardwire this thing. I can't stand visible wires!

Here's a pic. It only took about 1/2 an hour to install, including mounting and running the antenna.

It's mounted on the swivel mount below the dash and above the center floor console. It's easily visible from the drivers seat, and will have to be controlled by the remote solely. It definitely would not be safe to be leaning over to reach it down there while driving!

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
Panavise makes a nice looking mount that will mount it up higher right next to your radio. It bolts in where the radio bolts up them comes out and you mount the SKIFI right on that. It's really nice. They run about $30.00

·
Car Audio God
502 Posts
I work at Circuit City, and we install Sirius and XM add-on units all the time.

The Sirius units all operate on 12v (except one I think). As stated the XM operate on 6v.

The easiest thing to do, is buy a hardwire kit. They are less than $20 at Circuit City. Not only does it allow you to hardwire the XM unit behind your stereo without cutting any wires (like the plug...), it also allows you to directly plug in the FM Modulatro to the antenna lead on the back of your HU. Then you get CRYSTAL clear sound. In all honesty, the wireless FM modulators suck...and for only $20 it's convenient...and a good upgrade.

The sirius has the same wired FM modulator, but they don't need to adapter for power.

NG

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I stopped in at Circuit City by my work today. I picked up the direct wire kit. It was $30, but oh well. I also activated the service today, so the system is up and running. Tonight I will hook up the power source and it's all done.

I will definitely be trying to find that mount someone mentioned. Is there a pic of one installed, so I can see where it sits?

·
Car Audio God
502 Posts
BlackDak said:
I stopped in at Circuit City by my work today. I picked up the direct wire kit. It was $30, but oh well. I also activated the service today, so the system is up and running. Tonight I will hook up the power source and it's all done.

I will definitely be trying to find that mount someone mentioned. Is there a pic of one installed, so I can see where it sits?
Hmm...they're like 19.99 + tax at my CC :(

NG

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I wonder if it is something different that I got? It had the cig lighter adaptor that I can run to power and plug the radio plug into, and it also had some kind of FM booster or something. It tapped into the vehicle antenna and also the xm antenna.

I hooked it up, didn't notice much difference in reception, it ws already good anyway. No matter, though, all I really wanted was the plug, which I could have picked up at Radio Shack for a couple bucks, had that occurred to me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.