Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Durango, 140k miles runs perfectly, never had any issues. 5.9L 4X4 SLT model, immaculate, looks like a new one.... I was going to sell it and buy a Chevy Avalanche until the wife said "what are we really gaining by buying the Chevy ? Do the high miles bother you ? Couldn't we just put in a new motor and maybe a supercharger and just keep what we got ? wouldn't that be cheaper ?" As I wiped the tears away from my eyes after hearing the words "supercharger" I thought to myself , I am the luckiest man alive:D then I thought about what she said, she was right:D the mighty Durango has served us well, never let us down, and the kids love the room. Obviously at 140k miles it ain't worth snot as a trade-in, even though it looks new:huh: so my Question is...... (keep in mind I live in the leaf licking tree hugging snail darter saving state of So. Cal) How much would a new engine cost, I assume rebuild the trans too:huh: and would I do anything to the internals for more hp to handle the SC (remember smog laws:rant: and who has a great Supercharger

Thanks in advance for any replies

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check out KRC Performance Engines . They make 408ci stroker assemblies that you can put in place of your 5.9L or they also have worked over 5.9L with some pretty righteous horsepower. Give you an idea of whats out there.

·
Likes More Power!
282 Posts
furbelly said:
...until the wife said "...Couldn't we just put in a new motor and maybe a supercharger and just keep what we got ? ..."
She got a sister? :p I tried that route and ended up with a 2001 R/T, so I guess everything worked out for the best. Now I get to play with the 115K mile '98. The 408 really appeals to me. :D

·
It's not my fault!
555 Posts
Can't help you in CA, but over here I can get a reman 360 installed for about $2300. I imagine there are similar places in So Cal as well. This is from a shop that specializes in engine replacement only.

The 408 route has always been tempting, but even an RV engine is too much for me. You could always go with a reman shortblock 360, then get some RT heads, probably 2.02" if you think the supercharger is a definite. Throw in a KRC cam or the Mopar RT cam, 1.6 RRs, 52mm TB and M1 intake and you will have a pretty potent combo. Slap on a Vortech or Paxton, upgrade the ignition to an MSD to give greater spark control and you will have an extreme amount of fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts