Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Durango, 140k miles runs perfectly, never had any issues. 5.9L 4X4 SLT model, immaculate, looks like a new one.... I was going to sell it and buy a Chevy Avalanche until the wife said "what are we really gaining by buying the Chevy ? Do the high miles bother you ? Couldn't we just put in a new motor and maybe a supercharger and just keep what we got ? wouldn't that be cheaper ?" As I wiped the tears away from my eyes after hearing the words "supercharger" I thought to myself , I am the luckiest man alive:D then I thought about what she said, she was right:D the mighty Durango has served us well, never let us down, and the kids love the room. Obviously at 140k miles it ain't worth snot as a trade-in, even though it looks new:huh: so my Question is...... (keep in mind I live in the leaf licking tree hugging snail darter saving state of So. Cal) How much would a new engine cost, I assume rebuild the trans too:huh: and would I do anything to the internals for more hp to handle the SC (remember smog laws:rant: and who has a great Supercharger

Thanks in advance for any replies

·
Likes More Power!
226 Posts
furbelly said:
...until the wife said "...Couldn't we just put in a new motor and maybe a supercharger and just keep what we got ? ..."
She got a sister? :p I tried that route and ended up with a 2001 R/T, so I guess everything worked out for the best. Now I get to play with the 115K mile '98. The 408 really appeals to me. :D

·
It's not my fault!
299 Posts
Can't help you in CA, but over here I can get a reman 360 installed for about $2300. I imagine there are similar places in So Cal as well. This is from a shop that specializes in engine replacement only.

The 408 route has always been tempting, but even an RV engine is too much for me. You could always go with a reman shortblock 360, then get some RT heads, probably 2.02" if you think the supercharger is a definite. Throw in a KRC cam or the Mopar RT cam, 1.6 RRs, 52mm TB and M1 intake and you will have a pretty potent combo. Slap on a Vortech or Paxton, upgrade the ignition to an MSD to give greater spark control and you will have an extreme amount of fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.