Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our beloved dakotas and durangos have some years under their belts now and are starting to show some signs of aging. This thread should be used to share your d's maintenance that is or has been done to keep it on the road and working like a fine tuned machine like the day you bought it. This will help all of us owners see if there are patterns and time periods where some things need to start getting more attention.

I will start with my recent problems.
First i had a code come out of no where a medium evap leak that i tracked down to the gas tank cap. Bought a new one from autozone and about 100 miles later the code dissapeared. Thanks to this forum i typed the code in and several people have had a similar problem some more serious that required new fuel lines, luckily mine was just the cap.

This next one i still currently have and am in search of an answer.
My abs light and parking brake light on the dash stay lit after start up. Sometimes its there and sometimes its not. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

·
Benz Tech
889 Posts
Mine does the abs and park light too. Mine goes away when I cycle the key so I never really spent any time trying to diagnose it. I also get the code for a medium evap leak, but it only happens when I am below half a tank and the outside temp is below 80 degrees.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,204 Posts
Simptoms...I don't know what those are.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Simptoms...I don't know what those are.
Same here:jester: Though, since I bought when it had 45,000 miles and putting a little over 100k miles in it since, there was only two times it had to be in the shop for repairs. First was after hitting a deer, and the second time was having the front cv shafts replaced. Anything else was strictly chassis and suspension related that I can do myself which wasn't hard (except for the lower ball joints) along with routine stuff like brakes and whatnot. The engine and trans hasn't given me a problem EVER. I'm expecting it to remain that way up till the odo rolls over 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
symptoms lol its in the title too i cant even correct myself nooooo

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I had to replace my water pump (3.9L) at 120k miles. Ball joints at 75k miles almost time to redo them again but this time it shouldn't take too long since these are bolted in now. Transmission flushed at 125k miles. Everything else has been problem free so far outside of the body falling apart.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Here is my 2000 R/T maintenance log, mods, and fuel (I lost my receipts and had to remake this file in 2007 from a previous one that went corrupt). It's an XLSX file.

The only thing I didn't include were some small maintenance things like spray cans of this and that in the costs list as I use them between a few vehicles.

http://www.biodsl.com/2000DurangoRT.xlsx

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oil fill cap replaced @ 65k, Brake light [email protected] 80k, All 4 Ball Joints @ 100K, Blower Resister @ 120K, Front Caliper @ 135K, Oil Pan @ 150K(nut welded inside broke loose or was over torqued by oil change place. They payed for new pan!) Pinion seal @160k. Rear Wheel cylinder @170k, Rear Tires wont last as fronts all 3 sets I've tried. Not including the normal brakes, fluid change/flushes, Spark Plugs And the Random Vacuum / Emissions hose's that where replaced due to age. At about 160K started to burn small, but noticeable amount oil. Still run like she did back in 2006 when I bought her. I've only owned the truck the last 110K of 172K miles.
Out standing Issues: AC Drain is clogged I think & Side mirrors will no longer defrost.

Not to many mods this far, But will change if I don't trade her in for a newer/lower mileage Dakota.

·
Registered
375 Posts
besides ball joints, transmission rebuilds (3 times up to 169000), brakes, and other obvious dodge related issues. randomly on start up only, i throw a CEL for cyl 4 misfire. clear the code and wait til next time. either next day or next month, no rhyme or reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts