Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vimnjicki
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out my 3.9 V6 for a built 5.9 V8 ( well, its really bigger since its bored 40 over) and I'm ready for a heavier duty, LSD rear end. I want one from the same year as mine, don't I? but then, the '97 didnt come with a 9.25. will a '98 or '99 work? with minimal modifications for fitment? I'm not sure how much power the 9.25 will handle but that's the heaviest duty axle that fits under our trucks, right? Thanks for any information.

·
Old Fart
182 Posts
I swapped out my 3.9 V6 for a built 5.9 V8 ( well, its really bigger since its bored 40 over) and I'm ready for a heavier duty, LSD rear end. I want one from the same year as mine, don't I? but then, the '97 didnt come with a 9.25. will a '98 or '99 work? with minimal modifications for fitment? I'm not sure how much power the 9.25 will handle but that's the heaviest duty axle that fits under our trucks, right? Thanks for any information.
Anything will fit if you don't mind doing a little work. My truck has a 9.5" 14-bolt Chevy rear end in it. :banana2:

That said, the 9.25 is a strong axle and should have no problem handling the power from your 5.9 engine. Any 9.25 from the same generation Dakota should bolt right in, but I don't know about ABS sensors, etc.

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
Any 9.25" from 97-04 will bolt in as long as its a 4wd axle if your truck is a 4wd and 2wd if your truck is a 2wd as the spring perches are in different locations between them. 03-04 have disc brakes in the rear, some want this option and are willing to do the extra work to convert it to the older trucks at the same time as the axle swap. 00-04 use a different style driveshaft mounting flange rather then the older style yoke your truck uses, but otherwise is the same so all you have to do is change the flange and pinion seal and you're good to go. If you want an axle that you can bolt in without having to do anything at all to then 97-99 is what you want.

Having said that, what are you using the truck for? If off road use is its purpose I'd recommend sticking with the 8.25 at least untill you actually broke it then skip the 9.25 and go straight to something stronger and more off road friendly, the off road aftermarket is noticeably bigger for the 8.25" rear since Jeep has been using it since 91 when Crysler bought them. Most Cherokee guys, myself included, would compare the 29 spline 8.25", that your truck has, in strength to a Dana 44, with the only weakness being the 8.25" is a C-clip axle and the D44 being the more preferred semi-floater. C-clips are a weakness the 9.25" shares. If you're going for street/strip performance go ahead with the 9.25 as there is enough parts out there for it to get you the performance you want/need. Just my $.02

·
Registered
35 Posts
8 1/4 rearend

As posted above the c clips r the main weak link I have a friend that has a 537hp at crank 440 in his truck and it has held up just fine. He upgraded carrier to posi and changed gear. I'm going Dana 60 myself because it hooks and is a mantran.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts