Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 345 Posts

·
SideSkirt Central
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
""""Discount offer has now expired. Many thanks to all that contributed for this is DEFINITELY a GO.

I will get with each of you soon to confirm your order and provide you a balance due prior to shipping. If anyone sent a USPS MO postmarked by the 15th, please send me a PM so that I confirm your order and balance as well.

As for anyone else wanting a set, I'll start another thread soon listing all the various models that are gonna be doable but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the list. Stay tuned.""""

I'm sure most know that I am undertaking the task of reproducing the side skirts that were discontinued a couple years ago. The molds for making them currently do not exist and so that is the first step in the process. Todd from "R/T Mods" and I have discussed the history of the skirts which was interesting to say the least. He has graciously offered up his site to host these skirts once again that will include updated pics, details, instructions and method of payment once these are available. :mullet:

After much research, I have decided to make these in Urethane instead of Fiberglass as they were made before. Unfortunately, the cost of making a mold for Urethane is quadruple the cost of making one for fiberglass. The benefits of using Urethane are many to include better longevity and durability, the ability to add pigmentation at minimal cost, and faster production time allowing me to provide individual pieces if needed.

Originally, I intended to cover the initial cost of making the molds and still could but I'm afraid it would put a major strain on my finances without any real assurance that these will sell quickly enough to recoup my investment. Having said that, I would like to request some commitment on the part of those wanting a set in the very near future via a deposit. I can still do this without any deposits but that would extend the time needed to make the molds by another month or so to ensure I'm not too strapped for cash in the short term.

The final BASE price that I have come up with for either a RC or CC set will be $280.00 plus shipping. This price will come down later down the road depending on how long the initial molds hold up but for now I think its reasonable.

I am asking for a deposit of at least $100.00 per set and I will return the favor by reducing your BASE price to $250. The more you can deposit now will ensure quicker availability for all. If I get enough in deposits by early next week, I can start producing these early the following week.

So if interested in helping to expedite this, please send your deposit via Paypal to me at [email protected] or via USPS MO to:

James Messerschmidt
PO Box 181
Triangle, VA 22172

Reply here that you made a deposit so others can see the motivation being shown to expedite. I'll stop taking deposits on Feb 15th.

Just to clarify that these initial runs are for the GEN III 97-04 regular and club cab Dakotas with a 6 1/2 foot bed which already have Fender Flares. Other Dakota and Durango models and/or variations will be considered after this run.

Thanks all!

-Jim

BTW.. Currently 50% of the needed Deposits Goal has been met to begin production the week of Feb 15th with the first shipments to follow as early as Feb 22nd. I'll update this % in 25% increments until the Feb 15th Deposit cutoff date. If the % is at least 75% come the 15th, I'll throw in the remainder of the $ to proceed if needed.

If you Gen III QC guys wanna get in on this, go ahead and get your deposits in within this timeframe as well for I'm fairly certain now I can make the mold for them as well. If I have to, I'll work nonstop next weekend to get them all done by the 22nd as promised.

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
i'm still new to this whole ordeal, but how do this side skirts get installed ?

·
That Guy
23,438 Posts
I cant send my deposit till Thursday.

·
SideSkirt Central
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm still new to this whole ordeal, but how do this side skirts get installed ?
I'll be including hardware and instructions so you'll have the choice of either using the hardware to fasten it to the pinch welds or go on your own and just glue them in place. I'm redesigning them so that they can be securely fastened to the pinch welds as the old design did not accommodate for that. I would think that occasionally one would want to clean them and the space between them and the truck so NOT glueing is what I'd recommend. Double-sided tape may want to be used in conjunction with the hardware to help with skirt to truck spacing but I'll consider that when I complete the R&D. All else should remain the same unless I feel a fitment tweak should be done during the pre-mold test fit on my truck.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
I'll be including hardware and instructions so you'll have the choice of either using the hardware to fasten it to the pinch welds or go on your own and just glue them in place. I'm redesigning them so that they can be securely fastened to the pinch welds as the old design did not accommodate for that. I would think that occasionally one would want to clean them and the space between them and the truck so NOT glueing is what I'd recommend. Double-sided tape may want to be used in conjunction with the hardware to help with skirt to truck spacing but I'll consider that when I complete the R&D. All else should remain the same unless I feel a fitment tweak should be done during the pre-mold test fit on my truck.
for everyone sending money via paypal, make sure you send it as a gift se he gets all of it....and paypal dont get their cut.

any plans for a QC? and any chance of a better discount with the larger of a donation? just asking.

·
Registered
397 Posts
any ideas on a time frame of production? def very interested

·
SideSkirt Central
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for everyone sending money via paypal, make sure you send it as a gift se he gets all of it....and paypal dont get their cut.

any plans for a QC? and any chance of a better discount with the larger of a donation? just asking.
Thanks for the Paypal tip. :mullet:

As far as a QC is concerned, I'd have to do some separate R&D on that for I'm sure the cab length is longer than that of a CC and I'm not sure on the size of the bed. The more the interchangeability of the pieces, the better the odds of expanding the molds to include. Just off the top of my head, I would think the Durango would better serve as the next candidate for the longer the piece to start from, the easier it would be for me to reduce the length without having to make a unique mold for it. I could essentially just block off some length within the existing molds for that piece but the flexibility to do so is there. Another variety would be to make sets for those that do not have flares which means I have to remove my flares to get a good handle on the butt ends of them. Having said that, while I have my flares off I might as well make a mold for them as well but I'm getting way ahead of myself now.:funny:

·
SideSkirt Central
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
any ideas on a time frame of production? def very interested
Should the deposits be adequate come the 15th, I'm confident I can have the first batch done and start shipping as early as the 22nd of February. Else, it'll be sometime in late March.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Amazing Jim, I'm glad you're going to give it a shot! I'll send you something in due time to help you out since you helped me out with the door handle project.:mullet:

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
cool, thanks.

·
relocated Cannuck
394 Posts
make sure you let us know on the deposits - if you are short a couple maybe a couple more guys could step up

Should the deposits be adequate come the 15th, I'm confident I can have the first batch done and start shipping as early as the 22nd of February. Else, it'll be sometime in late March.

·
Live fast or die slow
117 Posts
Are these only going to be for the Gen 3's or will the yalso work on the Gen 4's. I have a Gen 4 QC and would be very interested in a set.

·
Registered
18,117 Posts
Are these only going to be for the Gen 3's or will the yalso work on the Gen 4's. I have a Gen 4 QC and would be very interested in a set.
Get some pictures of the gen 4 pinch weld area?

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
just saw your location. i'd come pick up, if it would be easier for you.

1 - 20 of 345 Posts