Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a way to mount my XM radio in the new Dak. I have the hardware from the old one that I'll probably wind up using, but I want to know if anyone has a unique mount out there that I would like.

I'll try to find a picture of my old one, but it is a bendable mounting rod that bolts to the passenger seat mounting bolt. It comes up about 14-16 inches off the floor, and you can bend the entire thing like a bendy straw and put it at any angle, any height, etc. I love it, but my wife hates it being mounted to her seat, especially in the Club Cab (which is gone now) because the seat wouldn't slide forward all the way (for the kids) because it would hit on the seat and prevent it from sliding forward more than halfway. This problem should be solved, but anyway, she doesn't want it there. She may just have to live with it.

Has anyone mounted their XM, or any other device in the garage door opener compartment of the overhead console? That is one area I was considering, then it would be hidden from anyone looking to steal crap, and it would be out of the way. However it wouldn't be in a very easy place to see when you need to change stations.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Well, for starters it would be nice to know which unit you have so we can have a better idea.

But this is where mine is, XM Roady2. Small piece of alum. bolted to top of dash surround, the bent and attached to unit. Wire run inside dash, the antenna runs down to the floor and then under the carpet to the C pillar and up, out through 3rd brake light housing and magnetic on the roof. Power wires run over to the glove box and the FM adaptor that is mounted there.

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
My set up is kinda ghetto..

It didn't come with the suction cup mount, and i didn't want to use what it came with.

So, i got some Velcro, 1 piece on the dash, the other on the bottom of the sirius.

That way, i can move it around if i want.

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, for starters it would be nice to know which unit you have so we can have a better idea.

But this is where mine is, XM Roady2. Small piece of alum. bolted to top of dash surround, the bent and attached to unit. Wire run inside dash, the antenna runs down to the floor and then under the carpet to the C pillar and up, out through 3rd brake light housing and magnetic on the roof. Power wires run over to the glove box and the FM adaptor that is mounted there.
I've got a SkyFi, it is a touch bigger than the Roady2 (I used to have a Roady2, still have a spare sitting around...lol).

It didn't come with the suction cup mount, and i didn't want to use what it came with.

So, i got some Velcro, 1 piece on the dash, the other on the bottom of the sirius.

I've just never had luck with velcro on the dash. It always comes off and then leaves a horrible sticky residue that is terrible to get off. I would love to have it right there though, without making a hole in the dash, velcro, or a windshield mount (hate those).

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
i set it where i wanted it, so i don't plan to move it and possibly reduce the velcro's stick to the dash.

Even if it does come off, the velcro i bought was like 4 bucks at wal-mart. Clean the area with goo-gone, etc and slap a new piece on.

·
Registered Loser
2,342 Posts

Not to mention the prohibited weapon hanging from the rear view. You know you could catch a case for that, don't you?

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i set it where i wanted it, so i don't plan to move it and possibly reduce the velcro's stick to the dash.

Even if it does come off, the velcro i bought was like 4 bucks at wal-mart. Clean the area with goo-gone, etc and slap a new piece on.
Maybe it is the difference in the temperature then. I know it always just starts peeling off by itself around here. But I suppose 30 below would do that to anything. LOL

·
Registered
26 Posts
[/QUOTE]Has anyone mounted their XM, or any other device in the garage door opener compartment of the overhead console? That is one area I was considering, then it would be hidden from anyone looking to steal crap, and it would be out of the way. However it wouldn't be in a very easy place to see when you need to change stations.[/QUOTE]

I mounted one in the sunglasses holder in the overhead console of a 2006 chrysler 300, it was more foward on the console than the garage door opener
and worked out really well and on my wifes durango I used the suction cup attachment and mounted it between the headliner and the rearview mirror
ran the wires in the headliner, down the side, under the dash and plugged it in.

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
Put it in the little spot all the way forward. Took the little plastic piece out and cut a small hole around the mounting base to the rear of course. Ran the wires to the back under the dash and to the radio. I use a remote so I never have to reach down, checking out the songs is easy too. Easy and effective.

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mounted one in the sunglasses holder in the overhead console of a 2006 chrysler 300, it was more foward on the console than the garage door opener
and worked out really well and on my wifes durango I used the suction cup attachment and mounted it between the headliner and the rearview mirror
ran the wires in the headliner, down the side, under the dash and plugged it in.
Above the rear-view might be cool. I hate stuff under the rear-view, like crap hanging from it. But that might be a great place.

Put it in the little spot all the way forward. Took the little plastic piece out and cut a small hole around the mounting base to the rear of course. Ran the wires to the back under the dash and to the radio. I use a remote so I never have to reach down, checking out the songs is easy too. Easy and effective.

I like that! Pretty cool. Although I don't have a remote.

I'll post a pic later of mine, I put it back in there (still waiting on an antenna), so I just have loose wires, but you'll get the idea.

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So yeah, the cords won't normally be there. They run down inside the little loom thingy, then I tuck them under the edge of the center console, and up under the dash. Once I get my new antenna, that'll all happen.

So yeah, I like this setup, and now with the passenger seat not having to be moved forward I think my wife will be fine with it anyway. But I'd still like to see your setup if you have something different and unique.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
mine will be a box under a seat and touchscreen thru my headunit. haha.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
mine will be a box under a seat and touchscreen thru my headunit. haha.

if i end up getting a flip out head unit, this will be the case for me as well. I have a conductor at home (just got it today! listening to jerry seinfeld) so for the car i'll just get whatever plugs in easiest.

·
GO FLYERS!!!
170 Posts
i was trying to find a new spot to mount mine because the sticky tape that it came with is finally coming off after 2 years so i need to redo it sometime but thats been a really good spot for me and i cant find anywhere else i think would be better, its a little hard to get to the hvac controls but i'm used to it now and overall its not to hard. that white cord is now black to match a little better and i soldered wires to the cig plug on the xm and then ran it to the fuse box and ground so that its not plugged in to the power port all the time.

·
GO FLYERS!!!
170 Posts
thats a really cool idea never thought of that even being an option but you'd have to have an auto so thats a negative for me haha

·
GO FLYERS!!!
170 Posts
most likely my hand would and it would be hard to get to when its in 5th plus personally i like it more eye level but still a really good idea i never thought of for that

·
GO FLYERS!!!
170 Posts
now that i think about it and look at my picture maybe it wouldn't idk haha i was thinking my pic was with the truck in first but i was driving down the highway when i took that picture hhaa

1 - 20 of 22 Posts