0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a deal on a 4.7HO that was in a jeep 2002 .Is it worth the switch
in my dakota 2003 ?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you have a 4.7L in your 03 now its not worth it at all. All you need to do is get the HO cams and intake for like $250 and do that yourself. For a motor swap you would be looking at upwards of a $1000 for the labor. Not to mention the cost of the motor.

If you are wanting to go from a 3.7L V6 up to the 4.7L V8 its gonna cost a bunch more than that. You would have to buy new wire harnesses, motor mounts (maybe), possibly new tranny (don't know what the v6's have), new PCM, new front springs to support the heavier V8. Thats just the basics. Its nowhere near as easy as it sounds.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
surprisingly shawn is right...hehehe welcome back shawn...but if you got a v6 or smaller, the v8 will be worth it...lots of work but worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
kaui56 said:
surprisingly shawn is right...hehehe welcome back shawn...but if you got a v6 or smaller, the v8 will be worth it...lots of work but worth it.
In a 2003 model year... it's NOT worth it. That'd be like taking the soul out of the truck when it's not even dead.

If you want more power... I suggest nitrous or a blower. Thats if you have a 3.9L (was no 3.7L in 2003..... ss owned!...lol)

If you have the 4.7L ss is right... just get the cams and you'll be fine.

We need more info!

Paul

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to buy the engine to modify it a lot the inside is much toughter than the original 4.7.And i can get an 2002 engine for about 1000$ US.The one I have already has some goodies.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
you want to take a 03 4.7 out and put in a 02 4.7HO? hell hno its not worth it...use that $1000 and put more stuff on the one you got...if you just wanna throw your money away...i get first dibs on it...

·
Registered
75 Posts
martinhuot said:
I want to buy the engine to modify it a lot the inside is much toughter than the original 4.7.And i can get an 2002 engine for about 1000$ US.The one I have already has some goodies.
Having a core motor that you can build up while still using your Dak as a daily driver would be pretty cool and $1000 for a running 4.7 is a pretty good price. Then once the HO is built you can just swap it in. But if you're going to just swap it for the 35hp difference and the forged crank then I wouldn't bother.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
oO_Rogue_Oo said:
Having a core motor that you can build up while still using your Dak as a daily driver would be pretty cool and $1000 for a running 4.7 is a pretty good price. Then once the HO is built you can just swap it in. But if you're going to just swap it for the 35hp difference and the forged crank then I wouldn't bother.
I couldn't have said it any better.

Paul

·
Registered
504 Posts
Your 7/70 will be out the door not to mention your standard warranty. If your Dak was older and out of warranty then I say that it might be a good idea. For my money I would buy a new block and build it the way that I wanted it.

A forged crank with a set of titanium rods connected to a set of Keith Black pistons would be a good start.

:toast:

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
build a 408 out of a wrecked ram's 360. Screw the lil 4.7L

**Me puts on Flame suit for when the 4.7 guys respond.**

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Black99R/Trc said:
build a 408 out of a wrecked ram's 360. Screw the lil 4.7L

**Me puts on Flame suit for when the 4.7 guys respond.**
Screwing the 4.7L is an overstatement.

Now a 408 would definately be a killer motor. And to tell you the truth... I'd be all over that like stains on a mattress. But.. being that I have a 4.7L... I'll just build it all the way up, then do a motor swap,. and swap in the big beast. the V10.

Paul

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn't sound like a bad idea if you're gonna build it up the way you want and swap it in later. However you need to check your local laws, a swap like this may be illegal, in some states the engine must be the same year, or newer than the vehicle that it is being dropped into.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
What if you build a frame, create fenders etc. (Like a clone car) make the vehicle yourself... would you have to buy a brand new motor if you copied a 1948 model truck? lol(Just wondering)

Thank god my state doesn't have that law... I drop any motor into my dak that I want (as long as it fits) no matter the year.

Also, my 1948 chevy doesn't have to have a cad. converter :evil: :D Can anyone say loud as hell? :-D

·
Registered
331 Posts
If the man has the time and money I would say go for it ... there is more then just cam's that make the 2 4.7L engine's different also different heads piston's intake and compression .... If you can then go for it but make sure the wiring harness and all that jaz will cross over first!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts