Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm in the process of purchasing a 2003 Durango. I wanted to ask the experts id it would be a good buy before purchasing. The owner said its leaking coolant and water but doesn't know where from. He said he expects it may be a rear freeze plug because he put sealant in the block and it didn't work. I asked him about the water pump and he said he thinks its still good because he replaced it about 4 years ago. Any advice? Should i buy it, and get it fixed. I just don't want to buy a car that i can't drive.

·
Registered
383 Posts
He certainly has a few questions about his Durango that he can't figure out. There's no way I'd take on that headache of a vehicle. There's plenty of other rides out there to choose from, I'd say pass.

Just one opinion...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Run. I mean him putting sealant in the block tells me that he was thinking that it was something major...and if it's not the usual suspects e.g. Radiator, cracked tank/overflow stat water pump etc...it prolly is something major or soon to be. Obviously I'm just talking out my backside since I haven't seen it personally, but the current owner not knowing is a big red flag. That typically means either A) it's major enough that it's over his skill level or B) his mechanical skills are good enough to know it's something major so he needs to dump it off asap. Neither are good for you. Like the previous comment said, there's way too many other vehicles, especially that generations Durangos out there that don't have issues to deal with, especially straight out the box. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Like the other two posters said, pas on this. There are lots and I mean lots of that era Durango's to choose from and you can haggle on the price. Putting leakstop in the cooling system, you will have problems down the road. At some point that is going to have to be cleaned out, so just pass on it. And if he doesn't know what else is wrong with it, do you really want to find out the hard way?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts