Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, :wave: name's Bud and am originally from Jersey, but at current am serving our military overseas.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2002 Durango R/T (red/burgundy) and want to know what to look out for when I go to see it for the first time today. The pics show it to be in supurb cosmetic appearance in and out. It has 77,000 miles on it. The owner is asking $17+. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: took it for a test drive 30 min ago. It's in great condition as the photos suggested. It has 74,000 miles on it. Drove nice, no clunks, whines, rattles and such. The issue is the current owner (2nd owner) does not know if the recalls (Ball joints, etc.) were done. Being in Germany, I can't just drive to the Dodge dealer and say "hey do a vin check". Is there a web site I can go to to get this info? The sticker on the drivers door says build date was 09/01. I have VIN #.

Hope to be a part of this community soon.

Bud

· Registered
53 Posts
I asked the same question.......

Hi Bud, I asked that same question yesterday and everyone here said to call the dealer and they could give you the answer. I haven't done it yet, I'll do it this afternoon. Good luck, I hope you enjoy your Durango as much I am mine.

Attachments

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, punched VIN into website I referenced in my above post and showed Ball joint repair was not done yet. Other than that, nothing. After my promising test drive with the current owner today, I'm leaning toward making an offer to buy. Anyone else have comments regarding the '02 D R/T? I'll take good and bad comments,as they all weight out to being able to make an educated decision. :drive:

thanks,
Bud

· Registered
421 Posts
Bud-R/T said:
Hi, :wave: name's Bud and am originally from Jersey, but at current am serving our military overseas.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2002 Durango R/T (red/burgundy) and want to know what to look out for when I go to see it for the first time today. The pics show it to be in supurb cosmetic appearance in and out. It has 77,000 miles on it. The owner is asking $17+. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: took it for a test drive 30 min ago. It's in great condition as the photos suggested. It has 74,000 miles on it. Drove nice, no clunks, whines, rattles and such. The issue is the current owner (2nd owner) does not know if the recalls (Ball joints, etc.) were done. Being in Germany, I can't just drive to the Dodge dealer and say "hey do a vin check". Is there a web site I can go to to get this info? The sticker on the drivers door says build date was 09/01. I have VIN #.

Hope to be a part of this community soon.

Bud

Bud,

Gee wiz! That's an 02 with that many miles on it already! The owner must drive a hundred miles per day or something. Personally I'd steer away from that unless you take the vin number and check it out. Does he have a maintenance log you can view? Check it out VERY throughly before you do anything. If he lowers the price a bit then go for it. Ask if he'll discount the price for a dealership engine,tranny and rear end check up.

rimfire,22

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rimfire said:
Bud,

Gee wiz! That's an 02 with that many miles on it already! The owner must drive a hundred miles per day or something. Personally I'd steer away from that unless you take the vin number and check it out. Does he have a maintenance log you can view? Check it out VERY throughly before you do anything. If he lowers the price a bit then go for it. Ask if he'll discount the price for a dealership engine,tranny and rear end check up.

rimfire,22
It was built on 09/2001 (according to the sticker on the door). That means it was most likely on the road by Oct or Nov. With that in mind, the vehicle has been a road warrior for exactly 4 years. That's an average of 18,375 miles/yr. This, I believe, is right at, if not below the national average. Am I off base with that assessment? If he drove 100 miles a day (Mon-Fri) he would have accumulated 104,000 miles. I like your idea of negotiating a dealer check-up into the price. Thanks.

Bud

3,871 Posts
im thinkin it would be considered having high mileage, last i checked at the dmv high mileage is about 20,000-25,000 a yr, since u have a comp check some websites like vehix.com or kbb.com for other rangos close by u may like and maybe in better condition and better price.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
addicted2blue00 said:
im thinkin it would be considered having high mileage, last i checked at the dmv high mileage is about 20,000-25,000 a yr, since u have a comp check some websites like vehix.com or kbb.com for other rangos close by u may like and maybe in better condition and better price.
I'm overseas in Germany. Thanks for the help though.

· Registered
421 Posts
Bud-R/T said:
It was built on 09/2001 (according to the sticker on the door). That means it was most likely on the road by Oct or Nov. With that in mind, the vehicle has been a road warrior for exactly 4 years. That's an average of 18,375 miles/yr. This, I believe, is right at, if not below the national average. Am I off base with that assessment? If he drove 100 miles a day (Mon-Fri) he would have accumulated 104,000 miles. I like your idea of negotiating a dealer check-up into the price. Thanks.

Bud
Bud,

Your figures are better than mine. Mine was just off the top of my head. Yeah 18,000 miles is considered the national average now a days so you correct in your accessment. Unless he can back-up his service on the "D" then ask if he'd discount the dealership service price is reasonable too me. Do you have any pics?

rimfire,22

· Registered
347 Posts
Definitely get it checked out. I bought my Durango earlier this year and it had 37,000 on it. Mileage just seems excessive for that year vehicle.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rimfire said:
Bud,

Your figures are better than mine. Mine was just off the top of my head. Yeah 18,000 miles is considered the national average now a days so you correct in your accessment. Unless he can back-up his service on the "D" then ask if he'd discount the dealership service price is reasonable too me. Do you have any pics?

rimfire,22
I've got pics, but can't get them to format properly. Don't know why. :huh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.