Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried looking around the forum for the answer, but I had no luck.

I modified the bed/tailgate on my quad cab, and now I want to go a different route. The guy at the bodyshop (I go to) told me that the quad cab bed and the standard/short bed off a dakota are the same, and can be interchanged... I always thought the quad cab bed was shorter...
I was wondering if anyone can help me out since I would like to either buy another bed or see if anyone would want to straight up trade.

Thanks for any help,
Kim

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i thought it was the shortest one, but just wanted to make sure. guess I'm screwed then, haha. I'll either have to keep the bed I started on, or be lucky enough to find one for sale, or trade.

·
G.F.Y racing president
6,587 Posts
SheDevL said:
I tried looking around the forum for the answer, but I had no luck.

I modified the bed/tailgate on my quad cab, and now I want to go a different route. The guy at the bodyshop (I go to) told me that the quad cab bed and the standard/short bed off a dakota are the same, and can be interchanged... I always thought the quad cab bed was shorter...
I was wondering if anyone can help me out since I would like to either buy another bed or see if anyone would want to straight up trade.

Thanks for any help,
Kim
find a new paint and body guy. if he said they are the same, the guy is talking out his a$$.

there are many different manufacturers that sell the quad cab tonneau. do a search for them. stockland for one i know makes them.

jim

·
Registered
189 Posts
i put my dirt bikes in my truck and i wish that they offered the dakota quad cab with the normal short bed instead of just the mini bed. there is just not enought room... also what did you do to modify your bed?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i had a friend weld up my tailgate (smooth out everything) and then frenched in some caddy tails. I extremely love it, and especially once i finish it since I still have one more thing to complete the bed - besides paint... BUT sometimes I wish I could have a functional tailgate again. Too late for that now, hehee. I dont think it will be too bad once I lower it and eventually bag it, but it just sits so high that I can barely put and take out some of the items I constantly put back there. I might just finish it up. proably too much hassel to try and go back now, lol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Alta Boy said:
I always thought it would be cool to go the other route. Mount a Quadcab bed on a regular or extended cab Dakota and make an ultra shortbox Dakota. :mullet:
I've been thinking the same thing for awhile now. I have a 4x4 and shortening it 15 inches would be very cool. Anyone ever done this yet or would I be the first to try?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hehe... hey... that sounds like a good idea alta boy.
atleast it would be pretty different :)
I have the shop and tools to extend the frame on my quad for a longer bed, if needed.
My only concern is the distances on the front mounts and fender cutout location.
My guess is that the only difference in the bed from the quad and the short bed is the length in the back.
Does anyone know a site for frame measurements and bed dimensions?
Has anyone here installed a bed from an extended cab or even a long bed onto a quad?
If so what did you encounter and do you have any pics?
Please email also to [email protected]
Thanks,
Richard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.