443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:bump:

want to buy by 3pm tomorrow to get shipped... if possible

·
Chief Rocka
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ordered the bilsteins..... found a company i had ordered from once before online and they gave me a good deal, at least i think so. got the 2 fronts for 63 each shipped free.

·
Chief Rocka
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you like them?
sweet. i can hit bumps doing 30 and the front end does not even move. now i have to get the rears done to match

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
How can I tell if my old ones are shot?
take them off and see if they still function properly. should be resistance to push the piston down, and it should slide back up slowly when released. if the piston moves freely or doesn't slide back up on it's own they they are dead.

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts

Thank you, I should have probably done a search on google, but I wanted to see what you dak-dur guys said first.

take them off and see if they still function properly. should be resistance to push the piston down, and it should slide back up slowly when released. if the piston moves freely or doesn't slide back up on it's own they they are dead.
I don't want to have to take them off, but thank you anyway!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
it's hard to tell without taking the off, especially in the rear with the stiff leaf springs which will still give good support.

only indication is to drive it fast over large bumps and see if it has good dampening. if the truck feels overly bouncy like you are going to loose control or if they make a knocking noise then they are bad.

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
it's hard to tell without taking the off, especially in the rear with the stiff leaf springs which will still give good support.

only indication is to drive it fast over large bumps and see if it has good dampening. if the truck feels overly bouncy like you are going to loose control or if they make a knocking noise then they are bad.
I just think it has really bad body roll and lean, what can I do to improve that aspect?

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
I just think it has really bad body roll and lean, what can I do to improve that aspect?

Heavier duty sway bars ...... or get something besides a Durango. Something that tall and heavy is going to have body roll unless you get some very heavy duty suspension components. Changing shocks isn't going to affect body roll much at all.

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
If the shocks are rusty like this (sorry for my bad cell phone picture) is that a safe indicator that I need new shocks? Could these by chance be the stock ones?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i can't see the pic at work, but unless the piston shaft is rusted then the body of the shock being rusty has nothing to do with it's function. although if it's been in there long enough for the paint to come off and rust then yes they are probably original and need to be changed. the only real way to tell is to take them off. it's not that hard, only 2 bolts. you only need to unhook the bottom of it to test it.

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
i can't see the pic at work, but unless the piston shaft is rusted then the body of the shock being rusty has nothing to do with it's function. although if it's been in there long enough for the paint to come off and rust then yes they are probably original and need to be changed. the only real way to tell is to take them off. it's not that hard, only 2 bolts. you only need to unhook the bottom of it to test it.
Hmmm...let me know when you can see the pic, but I might just take them off. Do I need to take the wheel off to do it?

·
Registered
287 Posts
lower yur durango helps with body roll , bigger dia` swaybars, get a good set of lower`d shocks all way around , redo your bushings in swaybars and end links ,,,makes a big differnce on cornering , mine feels like its on rails around corners with very slight slight body movement

1 - 20 of 43 Posts