Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone shift there trany by hand going down the 1/4 mile,I myself just turn off the OD and let the pcm do its job. Give me some pro/con threads on this,by the way my tranny is stock what would be the cheapest route to take it one step up in shift firmness. (without cherping tires at every shift point ).

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
Unless you've got an aftermarket cam/heads setup it's really no use to force the truck to shift later than usual because the stock cam drops off in power in the upper rpm's. Holding onto the gear is just begging for hitting the rev limiter or shifting into the wrong gear, which will give you a much worse time.

If you really want to add a few rpm's to your shifts get the B&G Chrysler flash, it will set your automatic shifts from 4800rpm up to 5400rpm without having to do it manually.

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
I heard somewhere that the way the 5.2s and the 5.9s loose their power in the higher rpm's, its actually faster to shift well before the redline, not sure the exact rpm but ive noticed on the highway having it to the floor and engines screamin but your not really gaining any speed, it just stops pulling. Would shifting at around 4300 to 4700 make you gain more speed or do i just need to get some more sleep? :huh:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my mopar pcm shifts at 5200 rpm,but sometimes it holds on untill 5500 rpm's and pulls the truck that much stronger.

·
Registered
155 Posts
SinCity R/T said:
Unless you've got an aftermarket cam/heads setup it's really no use to force the truck to shift later than usual because the stock cam drops off in power in the upper rpm's. Holding onto the gear is just begging for hitting the rev limiter or shifting into the wrong gear, which will give you a much worse time.

If you really want to add a few rpm's to your shifts get the B&G Chrysler flash, it will set your automatic shifts from 4800rpm up to 5400rpm without having to do it manually.
Hey Steve,

Can B&G Chrysler do ONLY a transmission FLASH. I want them to get rid of the torque management, and increace the shift points.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
I suppose they could do as much or as little as you want - give them a call and talk to Dave Kaspar, he handles the flashes. I know there's a number of other Supercharged guys who use their flashes.

·
2000 6.7 R/T
371 Posts
I have my performance computer shifting at 5500 rpms out of first, 5300 out of second. I run with o/d drive off because the PCM is doing the shifting perfectly for me. Id say you wouldnt see any difference manual shifting it

·
Registered
155 Posts
SinCity R/T said:
I suppose they could do as much or as little as you want - give them a call and talk to Dave Kaspar, he handles the flashes. I know there's a number of other Supercharged guys who use their flashes.
Is there a phone # for B&G Chrysler.

Thanks, Jeff

·
1700 + 1/4 mile passes
27,265 Posts
does anyone shift there trany by hand going down the 1/4 mile,I myself just turn off the OD and let the pcm do its job. Give me some pro/con threads on this,by the way my tranny is stock what would be the cheapest route to take it one step up in shift firmness. (without cherping tires at every shift point ).
If you are bracket racing you want to be consistent as possible, I leave mine in drive with the o/d off so it shifts at the same point every time.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
On a computer controled transmission if you try to short shift it the computer will still hold the gear, untill if is ready to shift for the RPM the engine is turning. If you are wide open and short shift it is still going to wind out the gear, i would just leave it in driver and go.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Unless you are just messing around on the street holding gears and egnine braking, there is no advantage to shifting it yourself at WOT, Unless you 2-3 shift is abnormally low (like 4k.)

·
Registered
112 Posts
with my hypertech i can change the rev limiter to wat eva i want. i increased it by 500 rpms which i noticed not at wot that i can get it to down shift earlier when i wanna pass someone

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
I have the PCM along wit hteh MSD ignition. My rev limiter is at 6000rpm. I can let it go all the way to 6000rpm by flooring it, but I've noticed that between 5000-6000rpm, engien power isn't what I would like. Basically, the torque curve dies, such as in a turbo car. Going 3/4 throttle and letting it shift at 4500-5000rpm is the same if not better as whole throttle and letting it go to 6000rpm. But my truck pulls hard enough in its highest rpms.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts