Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a transgo shift kit or installed one? Is it difficult to install, is it worth it? Thanks for any help. :smokin: :smokin:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
had enuf said:
Anyone have a transgo shift kit or installed one? Is it difficult to install, is it worth it? Thanks for any help. :smokin: :smokin:
i was just going to ask this:p

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
had enuf said:
Depends on the model of the trans. I watched the mechanic do mine today and there were so many freakin parts it was unbelievable. I am a decent shade tree mechanic and after today, I have a whole new appreciation for trans mechanics! Even after watching I wouldnt try it. If you get the Transco Jr. shift kit, it will shift better and help your trany last longer.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could go for better shifts, but will installing a shift kit void my warrantee? That's nothing to mess around with.

I've got that same issue as a few others do about the tranny not wanting to shift into 2nd at WOT and hitting the rev limiter. Pretty annoying.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rev limiter

I am hitting the rev-limiter in 1st too. The dealer is changing the valve body in the trans next week. I was also intrested in a shift kit as well but i will wait till after the valve body is fixed. The kit I was looking at comes with a video.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Both you guys need to call APS Precision. They have a very inexpensive fix for hitting the rev limiter from 1st to 2nd under WOT. Thier web site is,
www.apsprecision.com/ All contact info is in the middle of the first page. The part can be found under Products, Transmission Products, Transmission Assessories under the drop down menu. The part is called a (Improved TV Valve Assembly). Buy it and a Transco Jr. shift improver if you want, nice crisp shifts. If you want even harder shifts buy the (Custom Stainless-Steel Accumulator Block-Off Rod w/New Piston). I have the first 2 in my Durango and it made a big difference. It wont hit so hard as to chirp the huge tire I have but when is shifts, you can feel it lurching forward not falling on its face or slugish like it was. FWI...I do not work for or have any affiliation with APS. I would how ever like to know what you guys do.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had the valve body replaced under warrantee and it shifts perfectly now. My mechanic said that shift kits are tough on the rear end gears.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2002DakotaRT said:
I just had the valve body replaced under warrantee and it shifts perfectly now. My mechanic said that shift kits are tough on the rear end gears.
FYI...Transco makes a shift (kit) and a shift (improver). The kit can hit pretty hard, the improver it not as hard and will help the tranny last longer and wont tear up the rear end.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The rev limitter is with out a doubt the valve body. They said that the TV adjustment should never move by itself. The rear ends in this truck are built mussle cars so the kits should not be that bad for it right? This is the kit I was looking at. Thoughts?

http://www.kdsperformance.com/tranhigpersh21.html

·
Registered
68 Posts
Remember, Even if you put in a shift kit you don't allways have the gas to the floor. It goes without saying that if you drive something hard ALL THE TIME it will bust or ware out sooner.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rogerz said:
The rev limitter is with out a doubt the valve body. They said that the TV adjustment should never move by itself. The rear ends in this truck are built mussle cars so the kits should not be that bad for it right? This is the kit I was looking at. Thoughts?

http://www.kdsperformance.com/tranhigpersh21.html
That kit will hit pretty hard unlike the Transco Jr. Shift Improver. I would call APS and talk with him about it. Trust me on this...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't mind talking to the pros. Really I don't, but it's $$$$. I did talk with someone at APS and was getting into spending 400.00 insted os 100.00 for a transgo. The wife will kill me! I guess i have to look into this deeper before I just buy that kit? Till then I'll be fighting with myself! :argue:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rogerz said:
I don't mind talking to the pros. Really I don't, but it's $$$$. I did talk with someone at APS and was getting into spending 400.00 insted os 100.00 for a transgo. The wife will kill me! I guess i have to look into this deeper before I just buy that kit? Till then I'll be fighting with myself! :argue:
You can buy the Transco Jr. shift improver for about $50-$60 and the other 2 parts I was talking about for $110 for both. I'm not sure if APS sells the Jr. kit but wouldnt hurt to ask.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so the kit was super hard to put in? i have an 02 QC and I would love to improve the shifts and definately help keep the tranny in one piece. cause i drive it like i stole it almost every day. what would be the point not being able to enjoy the power.

·
Registered
250 Posts
let us know how that works out, im interested in one also

·
Your hero
561 Posts
Yea Ill let everybody know how it goes, I just ordered it from v8performance.com and I have never ordered anything from them... hopefully they will get it to me pretty quick... I hope

1 - 18 of 18 Posts