Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just discovered another small glitch in my swap. My 8 1/4 rear end diff. is offset 1"" to the right. My 8 3/4 donor is not. Several people have told me 1'' should'nt be a problem. What do you guys think. Also will I be able to save any of my computor functions or will I have to axe the whole thing. It will be carbed. Am swaping in a 518 tranny. Thanks Bob...

if it was easy, anybody could do it....

· Registered
257 Posts
Stroking a Shelby? man I miss mine, sold it a few months ago. As for the axles, I would pull you axle shafts out of both rear ends and see if they are different lenths, see if the splines are cut back enough to make up the inch, but I would think if they are different lenghs that the swap won't work. I've been trying to find a 5 lug 8.25 rear end to change my 95 to a 5 lug and haven't had any luck yet. If your going with a carb I would scrap all the computor stuff, I know something like the stock tach won't work after that but with what your doing, you'll want a differnet one anyway. Wheres the PICS!! we need pics of this truck!

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From where the driveshaft leaves the tranny it will angle 1'' to the left when it reaches the rear end. Pictures? Well right now its on jack stands with the rear end tore out, and the motor and trans are in the build process. Will add some pics when things get interesting. Am still looking for an early 360 block,71-74 with the thick cylinders so I can bore it .040. It has to be a 410. Just so everyone knows, nothing will be cut and all stock parts will be saved. Its a red one # 216.......

· Registered
257 Posts
Are you sure the hogs head of the axle housing is 1 inch off center? The way your talking, its the engine thats off center and in the Shelby's its way off to the right (passanger side)...if you were standing under the truck on a lift it would look like what your saying but its not the rear end, its the way the engine was installed by Shelby. Mine was a white, #1030, heres a pic of it when I finished it.

Attachments

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the engine is off center and the left axle is 1'' longer than the left, but finally got ahold of my drag race buddy, he's building a tube frame 68 cuda, and he said not to worry that 1'' wouldn't be a problem.

Also a 94 4x4 MP computor,MP headers, 1.7 roller rockers,reworked throttle body,home made cold air,410 gears.

92 2wd reg cab, short bed, 5.2 This was the one I was going to hotrod before I found the shelby. Its for sale-nice-loaded-2300.00

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.