Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ve got a 89 shelby Dak and all the sudden it started running real rich. Gas milage dropped from 14.8 to about 12.5 on the last two tanks. It was running bad so I replaced the plugs,dist cap and rotor then the bad fuel pump.Checked all the vacume lines Now it runs good but gas millage sucks.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Idk if they do it where you live, bit here in Illinois they have switched to winter blend gasoline. That dropped my gas mileage by around 2 mpg alone.

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
Same here on the gas.... What about a clogged cat possibly?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have a cat I dont know about the oxygen sensor??? How do you check the Oxy sensor? I dont know about the blend, My wifes Chargers gas milage hasnt changed. I live in Ar.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,364 Posts
Has the o2 sensor ever been replaced? If not there's a good chance it's bad and needs replacing. I suggest buying one at the dealer as this isn't a part to cheap out on.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has been replaced but its been awhile. The truck just rolled up 180000 that why I wondered how to check the oxygen sensor. When its idling it smells BAD rich. Just made a road trip and went 248 miles used 20.6 gal thats 12.4 or somthing like that. And I drove easy. Iam going to get on this tommorrow . thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the Oxy. sensor on yesterday, the old one was covered with sut so I guess it was no working . Put the new one on will go fill up today and take it for a ride. I cant believe that some of the counter people will tell me they never made a V8 Dak in 89. Never head of a Shelby Dak. I tell them its parked outside.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,364 Posts
Yea that's the problem these days. Auto parts store and even dealerships will hire and idiot that can make change (even that isn't always the case) they don't have to care or have a clue about cars. It's all about the computer for them. They can't do anything without it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got the same thing with my truck after doing the V8 swap in mine. I went to get something for it one day and told them to look the part up on another vehicle, which I knew the part would work. The dumba$$ behing the counter said he needed the exact vehicle infor. I got pissed and told him its an 89 Dakota 340 with sixpack. He began putting in in the computer and said that there was no way its wasnt made. I proceeded to tell him to go look in the parking lot and its sitting out there. About that time the manager came out and saw be getting in the guys a$$ and he then told him to look up what I told him to. The manager knew me from doing business there for years, the other guy was new there, and want there much longer after that.

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
I really mess with parts monkeys....i give them the part # that i need..... And if they look at me funny i tell them where to find it on thier shelfs....LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts