Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
1988 Dakota 3.9L-TBI
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not own a Shelby, just a Shelby fastback. I like white a lot better than glacier blue lol. I wish the photo I was working with had a white visor because I will have both that fastback and a visor but without those wheel well trims. I did not put my wheels on it but the upper right corner AMC TurbocastII, also cut the corner marker lights and added some honeycomb mesh in the fastback wedge punch-out. The black hood travels down the top of the fenders under the windows and fades up the backside, with what I feel is a necessary black wedge in front of the mirrors. What do you think??

This is what a fastback looks like with a visor...pretty cool IMO:

·
Stop Staring
561 Posts
I like the top one and I REALLY.....REALLY like that black one on the bottom....that really does look good. Normally I'm not all for the first gens....but that one looks awsome

·
1988 Dakota 3.9L-TBI
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the top one and I REALLY.....REALLY like that black one on the bottom....that really does look good. Normally I'm not all for the first gens....but that one looks awsome
Not sure I would want all black, I cut the corner on the black one too.

I don't like the black by the mirrors its out of place.
If the mirror was the same shade as black it all ties together, without it the mirrors kinda stick out IMO black or white. I wouldn't like it if there wasn't already an opposing wedge shape behind the cab.

Where is that Shelby?? I would buy it just for the frame and title!

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts
I like the black except for the visor, wouldn't drill holes through the roof for one.

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
I would paint the tops of fenders back and the whole upper roof black and top of bedsides black. I had a pic somewhere with a 3rd gen don't this way.

That Shelby was in Birmingham. No title in junkyard. I wanted the Shelby plate with series number. But someone beat me to it.

·
1988 Dakota 3.9L-TBI
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't like the 100% 2-tone with the top including the roof, either way the fastback has to match the top of the cab color. I think the visor will push more white forward over that black hood and bring the ratio back, with both a fastback and visor it kinda looks like a mullet haha

Well as long as the Vin is still there I think it can be re-titled correctly. Was there anything? Door inserts, seats, cup holder, steering wheel? I would have asked the yard the tags might be on a shelf in the office.

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
No interior. Nothing Shelby remained.

Sure you can buy the truck.

But they charge down to the single lugnut. But none have titles. I tried buying an old j10 pickup out of it before. They highlight all parts on the computer screen and make you pay for them. It was about 10k. No thanks.

·
1988 Dakota 3.9L-TBI
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeeze I would pay double scrap and that is tops...or just the dash vin haha I think that is all I would need to start from the ground up and register the original title. What a rotten yard, they can be a hit or miss.

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
I like the top pic with the black on the side around the window....I do like the black truck with the visor, not sure if I would like the white truck with the visor....

Bryan

·
1988 Dakota 3.9L-TBI
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the top pic with the black on the side around the window....I do like the black truck with the visor, not sure if I would like the white truck with the visor....

Bryan
Is the visor a color thing? If the white truck was all white would you like a visor? IMO the visor makes it look more like a "truck" from the front, not a little dinky El' Camino that it seems to be turning into. Maybe it's just a personal thing, I usually only see visors around here on large diesel trucks from the 80s and 90s it has become a bit of a relation.

Its a pull a part.
Usually around here those are the most reasonable, others won't even let you walk in their yard without them by your side.

·
1988 Dakota 3.9L-TBI
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If I did a visor on the white truck I might do the skirt white as well so you see white on the top and bottom. Thanks for the opinions!

Ultimately this would be nice and clean removing the bumper all together with:

·
1988 Dakota 3.9L-TBI
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Has anyone ever seen a louver wedge placed in the fastback punch-out where I put in that mesh?? Like a real "fastback hatchback" with the side louvers??

·
1988 Dakota 3.9L-TBI
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I located and purchased an original 89' fastback off a Shelby, and I had been toying with an idea. If I had a bed cover from the tailgate right to the rear window covering the whole bed...and then large louvers across the rear of the fastback it would look very different but I would have to use a solid color on my hood or else it would look funny with black:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
i'd consider installing a full length tonneau cover with the racerback. The vinyls on the black one kick ass. Actually the whole truck kicks ass, I'd try to incororate it like that.

·
1988 Dakota 3.9L-TBI
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i'd consider installing a full length tonneau cover with the racerback. The vinyls on the black one kick ass. Actually the whole truck kicks ass, I'd try to incororate it like that.
Well yeah that's what I meant, and it's a fastback; racerbacks flare up and out. I have never seen a pic of a fastback with a cover under it, do you like the louver idea? If I like it enough I might consider knocking the rear wall of my cab out and moving it back so you have actual usable space under that fastback....somehow....

·
Got out of Dodge.
889 Posts
If there were no glass under the louvers, your stuff would get wet. IMO, I think you're throwing too much at this part of the project. The mesh in the side vents of the fastback is definitely something different. My Shelby had one, but it was flimsy, so I took it off soon after I bought it. I don't think Shelby helped the appearance with the fastback panel. If only they came out of Whittier, California like this (he he he):

1 - 20 of 32 Posts