Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to shave my tailgate handle on my 98 dakota rt. I dont know how i can do this considering i have a Checkmate FX Flesh mounted tonneau cover. I don't want the locks on the cover but dont want a handle either, has anyone shaved their handle and has the checkmate cover? One of my friends told me to make a pin behind the light to hold the tailgate shut and have the light on a hinge. :chug: Good idea or not? Also, Is it hard to shave the tailgate handle yourself if you know how to weld or anything like that? Let me know. Thanks :toast:

Attachments

• 139.2 KB Views: 224

·
Registered
98 Posts
I dont know how easy it would be But you could reverse your lock from outside the tonneau to the underside and maybe use Soft-close automatic trunk parts so you wouldnt need a handle... who knows just an idea :confused: it would be sick if you can pull it off
A llink to show you what im talking about http://www.thomasregister.com/Catal...=0&sid=0407290118391800024241LW3&uuid=TRGuest Then click on the "E-Loc® Electronic Door Locking & Latching System" Link Or you could relocate the handle to the inside and use the power tonneau cover which would probably be easier both systems are on that link

98KotaRT said:
I want to shave my tailgate handle on my 98 dakota rt. I dont know how i can do this considering i have a Checkmate FX Flesh mounted tonneau cover. I don't want the locks on the cover but dont want a handle either, has anyone shaved their handle and has the checkmate cover? One of my friends told me to make a pin behind the light to hold the tailgate shut and have the light on a hinge. :chug: Good idea or not? Also, Is it hard to shave the tailgate handle yourself if you know how to weld or anything like that? Let me know. Thanks :toast:

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Hmmm... seems to me... youd be a happy camper if you just got your tailgate and door handles painted to match the truck. I might be wrong. It would help the appearance. However, thats just my opinion. Do what makes you happy and what will benefit you in the long run.

~CYCLONE_06

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm running the checkmate cover and had my handle shaved.

I started out with the same opinion as you (leave the cover clean, no locks). After considering my options with using a solenoid latch, or a manual pull cord I caved in in put the locks on.

I don't think they look that bad or take away from the cleaness of the rear end.

Didn't really tell you anything you didn't know already, just thought you might like to hear from someone who has been there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
After talking to my friend today who has a show truck he said a solinoid (sp?) and a popper would work for the cover and just flip the tailgate handle. he said its really easy to do. Then again this is coming from a guy thats done all sorts of weird shit to his truck suicide doors, c-notch, hydraulics, hand painted his whole undercarraige to match his paint scheme

L

·
0 Posts
Shaved

Or you can do what i just did installed 2 -9" linear actuators on my Fx and put that on my remote so the cover goes up and down by remote control and installed 48 high output Leds in a track around the bed cover ill post pis later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts