Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2001 Durango SLT 4X4 with the 5.9L, The other day the "Service 4WD" Light came on then went off. After that the 4wd stopped working all together. I should mention that is has the shift on the fly eletric switch not a good old lever. My Question is does any one have any idea what chould be wrong? The switch LEDs do not light up at all, and the ECM is not throwing any trouble codes. I checked by cycling my key 3 times and leaving it on. I also did the easy things like check the fuses and I even replaced the switch itself, are there any relays I should look for? PLEASE help! The "Service 4wd "Light is not the problem, it is the no 4wd that concerns me. Would re setting the computer help? The dealer wants over $100 just to plug it into the computer and I just dont have extra $$ right now as you all can understand Many thanks! :help:

· Mike
839 Posts
Mines been coming on and off for the past year. I think mine is a loose connection somewhere because when i go down a bumpy road it'll come on and go off, but my 4wd still works perfect so i dont know.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but the light is not comming on and going off, It came on once and then went off and this was about 2 weeks ago, Since then no Service 4wd light, but also no LEDs on the 4wd switch either. Ill look for loose wires or connectors around the T-case and trans-

· Trailer Trash
474 Posts
not sure if this would help or not...... but when i bought my truck my 4x4 light was on..... guess what? it is a 2wd, not a 4 wheel dr... lol

so anyways, i cant remember what they replaced, but it was something in the steering column. it fixed it, if youre problem is electrical, i would check that first.... sorry i dont remember what the part was called tho... some kinda ring....

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will look into the steering column. If you remember the name of the thing let me know.
Thanks!

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, I will look into that. I'm sure it cant make it worse than it already is.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.