Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Loud Pedal Heavy
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what everybody is running for serpentine belts. i've went through 3 different companies and each belt does something different. Dayco tries to roll off the crank pulley and makes a loud popping noise and the gates belt squeals even though the alt. and all the other pulleys are brand new. i've been told goodyear is the only way to go with dodge, just seeing if anyone else has ran across this problem

·
Registered
85 Posts
I put a Dayco on with the new tensioner a couple of months ago.
Are you sure that everything is in alignment?
Belts rolling are usually alignment related (years ago we had belts roll over due to a spun front main bearing).
How is your tensioner? It should actually pulse slightly when the engine is running and you change loads on the belt - say turn on the AC.. Squealing belts are normally tensioner related. Don't be fooled by one that 'feels' stiff - they are not holding tension on the belt, but rather absorbing the load inside the tensioner itself.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts
On mine I have run Dayco and now have a Goodyear Gatorback...no issues with either.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
I'm running the Dyaco Polycog on my truck now. I like it better than the Goodyear gatorback I had before. It fits a little better. I second the tensioner thing though. The stock ones are prone to having the internal spring get rusty and not keep tension on the belt. Change out to one that uses a leaf spring style set up opposed to the coil spring like the stock one.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
I run goodyear gatorback's on both my truck and my wifey's mustang. 50k miles on both with no problems.

If you have belts popping off then you definitely have an alignment problem. When the belt popped off it may have damaged the tensioner when it snapped open.

Good luck...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm running the Dyaco Polycog on my truck now. I like it better than the Goodyear gatorback I had before. It fits a little better. I second the tensioner thing though. The stock ones are prone to having the internal spring get rusty and not keep tension on the belt. Change out to one that uses a leaf spring style set up opposed to the coil spring like the stock one.
which would be that one for our 2000 DURANGO 5.9??? I believe I need a new tensioner since it is making some clicking noise..

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
If the ticking is just coming from the pulley on the tensioner, then just replace the pulley. Its a lot cheaper & easier then replacing the entire tensioner. If the ticking noise is coming from the tensioner arm as it swings, then replace the tensioner. Good luck...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts