Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy came in today with his 3.7L 2007 Ext cab Dakota because of some installation problems that he had. I told him to just come by and we'd do the install for him.

Anyways, he was getting 11-12mpg in his normal driving from that thing. Is the mileage really that bad?! I reset me trip odometer on the same drive he took to get here and had 18.5MPG on my overhead computer and he had 16.5.

Couldn't freaggin believe it. He said that driving to Santa Fe and back he'd get between 16 and 18. Kinda sad since last time I drove up there and back I got 19.2.

·
The Stig
448 Posts
A guy came in today with his 3.7L 2007 Ext cab Dakota because of some installation problems that he had. I told him to just come by and we'd do the install for him.

Anyways, he was getting 11-12mpg in his normal driving from that thing. Is the mileage really that bad?! I reset me trip odometer on the same drive he took to get here and had 18.5MPG on my overhead computer and he had 16.5.

Couldn't freaggin believe it. He said that driving to Santa Fe and back he'd get between 16 and 18. Kinda sad since last time I drove up there and back I got 19.2.
The Dakota overhead console factors in idle time too. It does MPG based on foot position into the throttle, is not nearly as responsive as true MPG should be, and the biggest factor once again is idle time. If you warm your vehicle up at all, or even just stopped at a stoplight, you're getting 0mpg once every second. The computer takes a reading every ~1 second and factors it in.

So in summation:
Start truck until actually moving - 0mpg
0mph to speed - 5-10mpg
Any stoplight/traffic that brings you to a halt - 0mpg, REPEATEDLY.

Coast is what brings overhead console MPG's up, if I'm doing 55mph and off the throttle I can get 90+MPG (Truck uses roughly 1/2gal gas/hour at idle.. so it makes sense with no throttle applied you're basically AT idle). So.. all in all, DONT TRUST THE OHC. It's not reliable whatsoever even for an estimate. I have 12mpg in my Dakota based on the console, and I can get 20-22mpg @55-60mph in real time.

Edit: First minute of driving for instance: Basically if you reset the computer as soon as you start your vehicle, and let it idle down/get seat belts etc.. first 30 seconds will be all zero mpg. Then you take off, takes you 10 seconds to get to speed @ 10mpg, and you either coast and repeat, or even your foot out to basically "idle" down the road @ ~20mpg.

30 seconds @ zero.
10 seconds @ 10mpg
20 seconds @ 20mpg

8.3MPG based on OHC for first minute of driving. Obviously the longer @ 20mpg, the better the OHC will look. Now expand that x1000 if you don't reset often, and you can see how it would give someone ~10mpg if you idle or are stopped a lot.

·
Let it SNOW!
4,152 Posts
^^true.

i rock about 13.5mpg in town with my truck, and i have a 4x4 QC with the 4.7. the shitty numbers he gave you are probably closer to the fact than not, though. truck weighs nearly the same, but has smaller balls to push it down the road. the little engine has to try harder just to move down the road than a comparable truck with a bigger engine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
05 Quad cab 4.7 4x4 best i ever got was a hair under 14 mpg stock. i dont want to know what i get now

·
Registered
128 Posts
this weekend i used the gps to track my miles. with the 33" tires and i got a bit over 15. ??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah you can't really trust the OH comp. If you right it down everytime you get gas and do it out, you will find the comp is sometimes off by quite a bit... and usually on the low side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts