Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, my front end is clanging, localized the sound to the front driver side wheel, clangs over small to medium size bumps that make the suspension shimmy more than aything, pulled off the wheel, and the lower caliper pin was hanging out almost ready to fall out. the lower half of the caliper could be swung up a lil above the rotor, and when u push it down, it makes a metallic clang... i tried lining up the caliper and tightening the caliper pin/bolt but it just keeps turning, its stripped.

SO, can i get a self-tapping caliper pin, that will fit out calipers from the parts store? from the dealer perhaps? i have heard of something called helicoil, is it hard to use?

i googled self-tapping caliper pin, and i cant really find anything that applies to my situation...

any advice will be appreciated, this primarily the car we take our baby in, i need to make it right pronto.... :help:

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
The helicoil will work I have done that to two of my caliper bolts and shouldn't be to hard but I'm not sure since my good buddy works at a break shop so I had him install them for me .. but shouldn't be to hard ..

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
you could get a new bolt and just retap the hole if its not elongated or out of round.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You need to buy new pins and a helicoil kit if the hole is wore out in the steering knuckle. Its pretty straight forward, you drill out the hole with the drill bit size specified on the kit and then tap it out with the tap supplied in the kit and then thread in the helicoil. If you need to know the size let me know, I have mine a work so I can't tell you off hand. Its an oddball metric size.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
justme84 said:
You need to buy new pins and a helicoil kit if the hole is wore out in the steering knuckle. Its pretty straight forward, you drill out the hole with the drill bit size specified on the kit and then tap it out with the tap supplied in the kit and then thread in the helicoil. If you need to know the size let me know, I have mine a work so I can't tell you off hand. Its an oddball metric size.
the hole isnt to bad, i mean the caliper pin threads into it normally and and threads down flush till the head of the pin, it just tightens a bit, and then loosens up again as u keep turning (the resistance) it doesnt actually slide back out... but if you could tell me the size of helicoil i need id really appreciate it , i guess i have to wait until tomorrow to get the caliper pins from the dealer, i dont think like autozone or someplace would have it....

is it ever possible that pin it self is stripped yet the hole is ok? (like do i just need a new pin?) or do they both get stripped simulataneoulsy, thanks for the info...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yes it is possible that just the pin is stripped, for what its worth I would buy new pins $3-4 and try them see if they tighten up ok, they should be snug, you don't have to tighten the holy hell out of them, and if they don't hold then go for the Heli coil kit, be sure to ask for the proper size drill bit as well cuz im sure you won't have one since its a odd ball metric size. I'll try and the kit size for you.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I believe the size is 9mm x 1.25, I won't be at work till Tuesday, so if you wana wait I can confirm that or just take the caliper bolt to parts place and they should tell you, suggest 9mm x 1.25 to them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Came across an interesting product don't know to much about it just seen it while surfing, maybe you could look into it. Its an American web site so it might work for you. Oversize caliper Bolt Just go to Dodge Durango brake section and look for caliper bolts. Im assuming your working on a Durango????

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
justme84 said:
Came across an interesting product don't know to much about it just seen it while surfing, maybe you could look into it. Its an American web site so it might work for you. Oversize caliper Bolt Just go to Dodge Durango brake section and look for caliper bolts. Im assuming your working on a Durango????
yeah its a 99 durango, hmm that looks interesting i know the HELP! company makes stuff to get u out of a bind, so u think its just a slightly bigger bolt that will tap its own threads into the knuckle? that would be awesome, i know autozone carry's help products....

·
Registered
582 Posts
It's 8mmx1.25 on the 2 gen and my wifes 99 caravan. I've helicoiled one on the dak and 2 on my wifes van (both like that when I bought them). I personally think that the thread is too small for the leverage placed on them making it a design flaw. It's also possible that the cast iron spindles are too soft to serve its purpose. I've seen it a number of times when I worked at the dodge dealer but never a Tsb or recall reguardless of it being a safety issue.

·
Registered
332 Posts
No I don't think it would cut its own thread, you'd have to tap it out, which is very easy to do, but it would be cheaper than helicoil, the down side is that if you ever need new caliper bolt you would have to use those again, where as with a helicoil finding them would never be a problem cuz their original. (Its a pet peeve of mine having people ****** rigging things, just hate it)

·
Registered
332 Posts
chester_peabody said:
It's 8mmx1.25 on the 2 gen and my wifes 99 caravan. I've helicoiled one on the dak and 2 on my wifes van (both like that when I bought them). I personally think that the thread is too small for the leverage placed on them making it a design flaw. It's also possible that the cast iron spindles are too soft to serve its purpose. I've seen it a number of times when I worked at the dodge dealer but never a Tsb or recall reguardless of it being a safety issue.
In theory I don't think there is ever supposed to be any leverage on the bolts, I think that the caliper just floats on the pins, the only time there would be tension is if one pad is really out of line. The only reason mine were busted is the guy that saftied it just before I bought was a moron and stripped them when putting new brakes on. He wanted me to bring it back so he could fix it but I told him that he had a chance to fix it right the first time and that I would do it and he would pay for the parts which he did. Sorry to hijack your post.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The bolt for the 2001 is indeed 9m x 1.25, thats the kit that I have, there was someone else saying that they used 8m x 1.25 so im not sure if its different for the 99's. I know the suspension changed in 2000 or 2001 so it is possible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
justme84 said:
The bolt for the 2001 is indeed 9m x 1.25, thats the kit that I have, there was someone else saying that they used 8m x 1.25 so im not sure if its different for the 99's. I know the suspension changed in 2000 or 2001 so it is possible.
hey man, i can only find 8mmx1.25 which is nto the right size, i checked autozone and home depot. home depot doesnt even carry them, where were you able to get 9mmx1.25?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yes the oversize caliper bolts are self tapping. I have purchased two. The first was from Pep Boys. It was in the Help parts aisle. The package was labeled Ford but I had my stock one with me and they matched up. The other I got from Napa. The have the Durango/ Dak in their book. Mine have been in for 50k and on/off a couple of times.

·
Registered
582 Posts
justme84 said:
In theory I don't think there is ever supposed to be any leverage on the bolts, I think that the caliper just floats on the pins, the only time there would be tension is if one pad is really out of line. The only reason mine were busted is the guy that saftied it just before I bought was a moron and stripped them when putting new brakes on. He wanted me to bring it back so he could fix it but I told him that he had a chance to fix it right the first time and that I would do it and he would pay for the parts which he did. Sorry to hijack your post.

Yes not typically but in both my instances (92 dakota, 99 caravan) The caliper is supported by the pads wich are then supported by the spindle anvils. If you'll notice when you do your brakes there'll be notches worn in the anvils from the pads digging into them. This will eventually create enough slop to start working those pins back and forth. I've seen lots of dodge calipers flop into the wheel making for some dangerous situations

1 - 17 of 17 Posts