Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i know what i need as far as color but can i buy clear coat in a spray can? Would it be smart to clear coat my new croam grill or the inserts im going to be using? and how do i paint my outside door handles?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
can someone please answere my questions i need to know soon

Help Me Please

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
1,281 Posts
Handles are easy...do a search on here to get a good how to to get them out. I did it to my Dakota a couple weeks ago, not sure how yours are for the back though. But just take the door panels off, there is a couple screws in the back side, and a couple rods that just pop out. Then when you get them out, take the handle off of the trim by using a hammer to get the rod out, then you have two pieces. I used 180 to get the texture off, then up to 400 to make it smooth. Painted them with filler primer to make sure the texture was filled in (about 3-4 heavy coats) then wet sanded them with 800 grit, then time for the paint, make sure the first 2 coats are light, then you can do 2 more medium coats. Wet sand if you wish...then clear coat, this you need to take special precautions with, unless you want the practice of doig them over. The first coat should be a mist, to get a nice gripping ground, then go over it with a wet coat. Do about 2-3 wet coats. Hope this helps.

And sorry i can't help you on the clear coating of the grill project though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts