Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Dodge ever... i now have a 2000 Durango slt 4.7l 4x4. I bought it cuz I've always wanted one but being on fixed income, the cost has put it out of reach til now. That being said, here's my issue. The security light is on flashing on and off on the dash, headlights are flashing, horn blowing. I have the factory fob, just put new batteries in it and had it tested (it works) I have black handled keys, but no mater what i do I can't seem to get the security to turn off. I can turn over the engine but no starting. The instrument cluster seems to be fine, doors lock and unlock from outside as well as from the drivers side controls... infact the only issues im having is the keys arent disarming the security system or starting anything and the fob is getting ignored by the Durango. I'm at my wits end on how to disarm and get it to start. Any help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The black keys are for non-security systems. Your key should be grey. Go to the dealership with the vin number and they can program a new key to work with the security system. They are not cheap but necessary with security.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called the dealer with my vin, they say my key is supposed to be black. And my issue is most likely the fob since its the only thing that deactivates the alarm. And my key issue is possibly a warn down key. So I'm having my fob reprogrammed Tuesday and hopefully it fixes my issue.
Ill let those who want to know if it works.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I called the dealer with my vin, they say my key is supposed to be black. And my issue is most likely the fob since its the only thing that deactivates the alarm. And my key issue is possibly a warn down key. So I'm having my fob reprogrammed Tuesday and hopefully it fixes my issue.
Ill let those who want to know if it works.
I've been messing with the Dakotas for almost 20 years and that's the first one I've ever heard of with security and a black key. The grey key has the chip inside that communicates with the CTM on the security system. Black key has no chip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it seems weird but they said according to the vin the security is in the fob and door locks not the key. And that having a black key is is what my Durango came with from factory...that being said i may have a newer ctm that needs a grey key but it's not in their system. That's all I can think of right now to why they say I need a black key.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Fob only turns the alarm on/off. The grey key has electronics in it to communicate with the security system. It needs to be there for the system to work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting, i guess ill ask the locksmith when I get my fob reprogrammed for another opinion to what the dealer told me. Your the only one sayong i need it as of now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So do i need a grey key and a black one? I read somewhere that the grey key was only really needed on 01 Durango and later.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would just let the locksmith or dealer do their thing and figure out which color key that you need. You'll only be paying after they get the FOB working, so whatever color works, that's all that matters. Maybe the colors did switch over the years, on the 05 & up Dakotas, the Black key is the chipped key.

Hope it works out easily for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok i haven't seen the locksmith yet but I bought a ctm off ebay, plugged it in and it started right up. Only weird thing is the brake and abs lights on the dash are on. Don't understand why yet but I don't care at this point, the Durango started and ran great. I'm happy so so happy. I'll get the fob figured out after I get the ctm programmed with my vin. Question how long til the alarm takes over again? I started it with a black key, so i must not need a grey one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts