Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this for the first time at 105,000 miles, then at 125,000 and now that I am at 135,000 I figured I would do it again.

Warmed up the engine, slowly poured half of a pint into the throttle-body until it almost died. Killed the engine, let it sit for 20 minutes and these were the results.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Nice. I don't think i would have done it in the garage though.:funny: i've never done this to my truck and i just rolled over 140k. I wonder if i should...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. I don't think i would have done it in the garage though.:funny: i've never done this to my truck and i just rolled over 140k. I wonder if i should...
I have a small write up coming up. I removed, cleaned, and put back together my Throttle Body and did the seafoam treatment with the garage light. Started it up and backed out as soon as the idle smoothed.

·
5.2-Toned SLT
1,699 Posts
The 'no rubber loss' burn out haha. Sounds nice, what exhaust setup you running?

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't have done it in the garage. Would have taken it to the local highschool parking lot after dark or something like that. How long does the smoke last? I'm considering doing it to my girlies '98 Mustang (125k miles). Thanks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I wouldn't have done it in the garage. Would have taken it to the local highschool parking lot after dark or something like that. How long does the smoke last? I'm considering doing it to my girlies '98 Mustang (125k miles). Thanks.
The huge cloud lasts for up to 2 minutes, then it will smoke for about 5 more. I take it for a hard drive for 5-10 minutes and it will smoke lightly throughout that. I did it in the garage because of the light, and my intention to back it out immediately. I would have not done it at my house if it was light outside :D

That was my first time in 10,000 miles. I did a friends Ram [the one next to my truck] who has 140k on it, and his smoke lasted about a minute longer than mine. It will vary as a clean system will barely smoke and a very dirty system will smoke a bit more and a bit longer.

·
The Asian Persuasion
2,644 Posts
I like Seafoam, I should actually run some through mine soon.

With older higher mileage vehicles, Seafoam can actually cause problems. It'll knock loose some gunk and build up that has actually been "holding things together" and whatnot, so when you run Seafoam through, it'll break up all that build up and cause a leak or seem to make your vehicle "run like shit". If you've been keeping up on the maintenance of your vehicle, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've had this discussion before, the smoke is a product of the cleaner itself and has absolutely nothing to do with how clean or dirty the cylinder and valves are. I could take a brand new engine and run this through it and it would probably smoke for a minute or 2. I don't have any actual written proof just 20+ years of professionally using this on vehicles on a regular basis.

·
don't feed the bears
10,668 Posts
ya knwo i was gonna ask if anyone knew what was inthe content of the smoke.. if it was burnt gunk or just burning seafoam.. i did it to my truck too but i poured it inot the vaccume line and let the engine run throuout:huh: did i do it wrong ..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's fine to use a vacuum line, but when you kill the vehicle, it allows the seafoam to loosen the gunk and do its work. Obviously the smoke is not gunk coming out, but I feel the dirtier engines hold more of the seafoam in the carbon buildup and take longer to full clear the system than a clean system.

And I also heard about running it through old engines could be bad. I have maintained mine regularly and run this through it annually, so the buildup is not too extreme.

·
99 Dakota 3.9
44 Posts
Question my truck is a 99 3.9 with 116k miles on it. I have never ran seafoam through it at all. Should I try it out or best not too?

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
I've had this discussion before, the smoke is a product of the cleaner itself and has absolutely nothing to do with how clean or dirty the cylinder and valves are. I could take a brand new engine and run this through it and it would probably smoke for a minute or 2. I don't have any actual written proof just 20+ years of professionally using this on vehicles on a regular basis.
I used Seaform in my 01 Dakota 4.7 with around 100K on it several times with little to virtually no smoke.

·
Stock Lookin'
3,040 Posts
If you've never done it before, then yeah. Either Seafoam or pick up Mopar Combustion Cleaner. From what I know, it's on national back order though.

·
Stock Lookin'
3,040 Posts
Is there a difference between the two other than the Mopar label?
Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner is a foam vs a liquid. Plus you spray it down the throttle body vs putting it into the crank/gas tank/vacuum line.

This is the site that I read about it.
Here.

Though it's not recommended to be run through turbo'd motors. I like it better than seafoam, but like I said. National back order, none of the dealers around me had any available. This was like a year ago though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts