Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Troll Behind The Dog
8,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K so here it is...Got to talking about this at work tonight and I kind of find it funny...ummm how to start...

When I was 15 I went and took an EMT class (Emergency Medical Technician) class...At the time I was in school, not doing great, basically not applying myself, I hated it...Passed my EMT with 98%...Still in school hating it, and not doing so hot, Still running EMS and Fire Dept though...I passed 1 by one by a thread...Till I got to 11th, got my license, and started skipping school...and working p/t weekends at the local EMS station(What I didn't understand is they never suspended me due to grades, and my parents had just split so there wasn't much parenting going on, since I was living with my g/f at the time) Then I talked to my dad, he said If I went for my GED he would sign me out of school, and I had to get a job as well full time, before I dropped out, So I did...Everyone thinks looser, looser, but guess what...All those kids that said looser looser...Im now their health and safety supervisor where most of them work, and not as supervisors, plain old laborers...Kinda weird how that works out in the end...:mullet:...Recently saw a girl I went to school with, real popular, book smart, and no common sense, asked how I could afford such a nice truck, a jeep, and a nice place, told her where I worked, asked her what she was doing.......Applebee's waitress...:huh:...Sucks for her...

*Might I add I am in no way stupid...Just never liked school, didn't apply myself at all...What I wanted to learn, I learned...Now I look back I wish I woulda sucked it up and finished, but...I don't mind how I turned out...Id never tell a son or daughter to do what I did...But I turned out OK...

·
Burnin' the tires away
1,751 Posts
I understood your first post perfectly... and I agree. School blows the big wang, but it's for the better. People just have to apply themselves.

One of the things you must have missed by dropping out is the class where they tell you to check your PM inbox once in a while. So go and check it!

·
The Troll Behind The Dog
8,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understood your first post perfectly... and I agree. School blows the big wang, but it's for the better. People just have to apply themselves.

One of the things you must have missed by dropping out is the class where they tell you to check your PM inbox once in a while. So go and check it!
Oh but school must not have taught you patience because I did check it...But was checking at the fire house tomorrow to make sure we had shirts (Don't think we do anymore)

:nana: SO THERE!!! :nana:

·
Registered Abuser
1,514 Posts
I'm sitting in kinda a similar situation, but I made it through High School(barely, almost got expelled) Now I started college this year, I really didn't want to go, but my parents pretty much made me or they would have kicked me out of the house the day I turned 18. Now I am wondering if college is the right path. I just keep losing motivation in it and I really don't see the real benefit in it. I am losing interest and I know I can't do this for 4 more years. I am pretty sure I am going to quit the 4 year plan shit, it would take me 5 at least anyways, and head to a tech school and try and figure something out from there. I know that I could make the money if I wanted to get out there and work, but I really just don't know what to do now. Te only thing that really pisses me off is how much money I may be wasting if my college shit doesn't turn out.

·
The Troll Behind The Dog
8,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im not so sure how to word what Im trying to say...

But...Its a hell of a lot easier to choose to drop out of high school then to throw away 40k for college...

That was the easiest way to put it I guess...:huh:

·
Burnin' the tires away
1,751 Posts
Oh but school must not have taught you patience because I did check it...But was checking at the fire house tomorrow to make sure we had shirts (Don't think we do anymore)

:nana: SO THERE!!! :nana:
School doesn't teach anybody patience... why do you think we're all trying to make our trucks faster?? :funny:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I guess I took the opposite route as you.

All through school, education was my priority. My parents were proud of me, and pushed me to do the best that I could, but were far from the typical "my kid's an honour student parents". I got honours all through high school, graduated with two diplomas all that jazz. Now I'm 3 years thru a degree and considering masters. While doing all that I worked my ass off on our farm, and other summer jobs so that I could afford to go to school.

The only reason I'm actually posting is because just today at supper, we were talking about some kids we know who were dropping out of school at 16. (for different reasons than you) These particular kids mom had made a comment on how that that she dropped out of school and is now making more money than her siblings. I'm not one to compare people, but was taught to think for myself, and challenge things...and her comparison just didnt make sense.

My dad made the comment that he wishes that he took further schooling (he graduated highschool and took a HD diesel course). Just like you, he's done well for himself, but will always want more for your kids (if you got em)...thats why I went to school...I listened to my dad, and got 'one step further'.

·
The Troll Behind The Dog
8,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh definitely...Id never want my kids to do what I did...But for being 22 and a supervisor already? I think I did damn well for dropping out...Neither of my parents finished school, both have a GED...But they both did good as well...I didn't even know that they didn't finish till about a year after I dropped out though, so it wasn't like they said, We did so you can too...Was just kinda like he knew I didn't want to anymore and it wouldn't help trying to make me, so he figured it was for the best, and I think it was too...

·
I Heart Boost...and M/T's
5,951 Posts
I guess I took the opposite route as you.

All through school, education was my priority. My parents were proud of me, and pushed me to do the best that I could, but were far from the typical "my kid's an honour student parents". I got honours all through high school, graduated with two diplomas all that jazz. Now I'm 3 years thru a degree and considering masters. While doing all that I worked my ass off on our farm, and other summer jobs so that I could afford to go to school.

The only reason I'm actually posting is because just today at supper, we were talking about some kids we know who were dropping out of school at 16. (for different reasons than you) These particular kids mom had made a comment on how that that she dropped out of school and is now making more money than her siblings. I'm not one to compare people, but was taught to think for myself, and challenge things...and her comparison just didnt make sense.

My dad made the comment that he wishes that he took further schooling (he graduated highschool and took a HD diesel course). Just like you, he's done well for himself, but will always want more for your kids (if you got em)...thats why I went to school...I listened to my dad, and got 'one step further'.
I agree with this post.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts