Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure it's been talked about a lot on here, but, What's the difference in a rear end from my truck ( 99 Dak sport, 5.2 5spd) and a 98-04 Dakota R/T?

And what are the advantages of putting a R/T rear end in my truck? Is it a simple swap?

G

·
I'm sure it's been talked about a lot on here, but, What's the difference in a rear end from my truck ( 99 Dak sport, 5.2 5spd) and a 98-04 Dakota R/T?

And what are the advantages of putting a R/T rear end in my truck? Is it a simple swap?
10 bolt cover - 8.25
12 bolt cover - 9.25

Check sticker in glove compartment for gear ratio and whether it's an open diff (single wheel drive) or a anti-spin diff (LSD or Posi)

All RT's came with the 9.25 LSD rear drum brakes with the exception of '03-'04 had the option of rear disc. Not exactly sure what year the change took effect, but the drive shaft connection to the rear diff is different.

As long as the drive shaft connection to the rear diff is the same and the rear brakes are the same, it should be a direct bolt in swap out.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
if you have a V8 5 spd, 2wd truck, chances are there's nothing different in the rear ends except maybe LSD and gear ratio. if you have the smaller axle, then yea, switch to the 9.25 as it's a bolt in and go deal. if you already have the 9.25 then I'd put your money towards gears and a detroit true trac, which is 10 times better than the weak factory LSD

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
finding a salvage 9.25 with posi and 3.90 gears (in a nutshell,a factory dakota R/T rearend) will be your cheapest and easiest solution.i can only guess a salvage rear axle complete would be between $200-$500.modifying your factory rearend could cost at least $550 in parts alone.

·
Registered
157 Posts
finding a salvage 9.25 with posi and 3.90 gears (in a nutshell,a factory dakota R/T rearend) will be your cheapest and easiest solution.i can only guess a salvage rear axle complete would be between $200-$500.modifying your factory rearend could cost at least $550 in parts alone.
You can't put faith in the fact it would be any good, with new parts you know the mileage that is on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.