Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have been lurking on here for months now gathering ideas and I have finally gotten some time to get my own project going. 2001 4-door 4.7, 5 spd as it was when I got it:

Hoping to build a custom flat bed and exo similar to this:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fed-ex man brought me some new goodies today!

Going with a 3-link with coilovers up front and sticking with springs in the rear for now. I am using a 14bolt rear and D60 front. I am eventually going 5.13's and selectable lockers, but for now the 4.10's and my welder will have to do. I am probably going with the '79 F-250 steering box to handle the directional duties.

I have always wheeled jeeps and driven Dodge's, so I just figured this would be the best of both worlds to be able to haul the kids with us wheeling.

·
Registered
413 Posts
subscribed, get a couple more of those budweisers and git r dun cant wait to see more.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are only for "size-up" purposes only, you know that nobody ever consumes acoholic beverages while building their rigs:beer: That would just be wrong!!!! LOL

·
Registered
384 Posts
You should have seen all the bottles of booze under the lanes of a bowling alley I helped my uncle dismantle. This thing was built in like the 30s by guys drinking on the job and we had a helluva time tearing that place apart.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
how long do you expect till your complete....
because it has now turned into a race of who can build the first three link on D-D :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I hope to have the front suspension under it within the next couple of weeks. I am still really busy with my real paying job (swimming pools) so I don't have alot of time to work on it. Money is my biggest hold up right now, like everyone else. It wouldn't take me but about a weekend to get the front end together if I had the funds to go ahead and buy my coilovers and hydraulic steering. I was going to just slap a steering box in it and then eventually add hydro-assist, but I really want to go with a full hydraulic system (PSC). I am going to do my build alot like alwaybroken, keeping the bed and bobbing it but not doing a dovetail. I am keeping the truck as street friendly as I can because my last 3 toys have been offroad only and I miss having something to just cruise in every once in a while.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the frame cleaned up and plated today:

Also started mocking up the 3 link arms:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't set the lengths just yet. I am going to try to set the front axle location this weekend. They are gonna be somewhere around 35" long once everything is done.

Here is just a teaser of what the front will look like, this is with a spare 39" bogger I had laying around.

·
5 Door Whore #210
188 Posts
I haven't set the lengths just yet. I am going to try to set the front axle location this weekend. They are gonna be somewhere around 35" long once everything is done.

Here is just a teaser of what the front will look like, this is with a spare 39" bogger I had laying around.
i like so far :waiting::stirthepo

·
Red Rango
974 Posts
watching... waiting... gathering ideas lol... :waiting:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
what D60 you planning on running?

and have you decided what steering box are you going to run, or are you just gonna go fullhydro like you stated; gonna stay with the 79 f-250? what were your other "options"?

·
Registered
17 Posts
looks good so far

cant wait to c what the quad cab is going to look like sas,ed

heres a picture of my 98 dak sas,ed on 38.5'' boggers

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Using a Kingpin D60 from an '80 F350 and a 14 bolt from a '78 chevy, both are 4.10's right now but will eventually be 5.13's. I am converting the 14bolt to discs and going to have detroit's in them. I have decided to go full hydraulic steering using the PSC kit.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts