61 - 80 of 93 Posts

· Registered
504 Posts
right on!

"Hemi Dakota" - 'nuff said :mullet:

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Trying to get everything dialed in. It goes into the exhaust shop on tuesday to get an exhaust welded up but I have a question and figured I'd ask you guys your opinion. So with the new harness, it sits in the back but since the motor is a little bigger and I feel the harness is bigger than the old one...... should I be concerned with it just sitting there in the back? The way it is, I just don't want the motor to be so hot that it could melt the harness..... any recommendation or should I just be good and i'm over thinking it. I can take pictures tonight to show you. Thanks.

· Registered
63 Posts
I don't think it will be an issue. On my 5.7, the mds wiring lays right on the block. Sandwich with a foam block between the intake and block. Unless you are real close to the exhaust. I think you will be fine. But zip ties work pretty good if it is an issue.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Here is the only video I have of it running right now but yesterday I had the full exhaust done and the guy did an amazing job. Sounds super good too.
But here is a video of it running with open headers.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
So finishing things up and I have a question about the cooling system.

I've been flushing the system and about to put the mopar coolant in but noticed that like the system only takes like a gallon of coolant..... Its weird.

I made my own like radiator cap and basically copied the 4.7 where the radiator cap is inside the upper hose. I just don't know how its not taking enough fluid. if I get an overflow bottle will it suck and push fluid from the tank? I know the stock system has a radiator bottle that pushes into the heater hoses or something like that. Any input? Thanks, Jared

· Registered
504 Posts
...in the past when re-filling old school engines, I've drilled a small hole (less than 1/8") through the inner flat surface to allow air in the block bubble out...? I think some t-stats have a hole in them just for that purpose...?

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Hey guys.... sorry I've been MIA for a few months. I got burnt out with the whole swap and put it in the back 40 for a bit. I got it aligned and actually drove it like 4 miles the other day. Drove great and was super fun driving a manual Hemi! I'm putting it in a local Mopar show this Wednesday and I'll get some pix and hopefully a video for you guys!

you guys have been a lifesaver and I cant thank you guys enough for all the help.

· Registered
774 Posts
I know all about getting burnt out. You put tons of effort into something you really enjoy and end up over-indulging on it or over-burdening yourself over it. If you keep forcing the issue, you won't go back because you'll end up hating the things you love. I've seen plenty of projects that end up getting sold off, incomplete, just to get it completely out of their lives.

I know that feeling….I got burnt out on my Ramcharger project, and it ended up sitting in my backyard for over ten years, incomplete. I tried to reignite the project a few times but I couldn't get back into it, because the things that caused the project to stall were still there and it wasn't enjoyable any more. Now I have a new project and I'm determined to see it through, but I'm beginning to get that burned-out feeling because the project has taken too long, it's caused arguments between my wife and I, it's still absorbing my money and I can't enjoy using the truck.

The best I can do is step away sometimes and take on other things in my life that I enjoy…but in the back of my head, I don't want this project to liger as long as the previous project lingered. Sometimes it takes a concerted effort to keep from being burned out. Involving friends and family helps. Take everything in moderation. Over-indulgence is the number 1 reason of burn out.

As for me, I'm still trying to get my Dakota on the road…it's 99% of the way there, and it's much further along from where the last project stalled. But it's still not ready to roll. And it's been frustrating to reach the finish line.

Ed

· Registered
504 Posts
...been to that movie too many times myself - good on ya for taking some time off. Looking forward to seeing some shake-down vids! :)

- Sam

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Thanks guys! Looking forward to getting out and stretching her legs.

Here is a quick video of why I took a break and got burnt out on the truck haha.

also, if you scroll my YouTube channel, you can see some of the old videos of the truck in action.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Did you use headers?
If so, which ones?
I apologize for not replying earlier. The motor is an 08 charger hemi and they will not work in the frame rails. I used the 05 truck hemi stock manifolds. Seem to work good and flow good. I could order the custom headers but doesn't do enough for me. Maybe if it was a race truck but works great as it is.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.