Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows about rood racks for the dakotas. I am wonting one up there but no one seems to build or sell these roof racks. Also I am wanting to build a tailgate tire holder. When I have it done and see how it looks I could possibly build more for yall if yal like how it looks.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've seen QC dakotas with roof racks.......which also look factory. Not sure if this was an option or not. Maybe someone else can confirm if they're factory or not.

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen QC dakotas with roof racks.......which also look factory. Not sure if this was an option or not. Maybe someone else can confirm if they're factory or not.
What is QC dakotas??

·
I hate you people.
2,831 Posts
Nope, roof racks were never offered for the Dakota's, at all. Plus, the aerodynamics screw up from a roof rack would cause the FE to drop even more over the already 14/18 EPA rating.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Must be aftermarket then, there's a guy local that's got one on his, i'll see if i can stalk it for some pics...LOL.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Dodge discontinued that roof rack a long time ago, there are part numbers for it, but it's long gone. You can buy a Yakima or Thule permanent mount track system for the Dakota that will attach to the roof and then go from there.

·
You're gonna do what?!
59 Posts
I tried to find a roof rack myself, no luck. Attaching one to the sheet metal will just cause cracks to form later. I went to a friend of mine over at Hannah Racing and he made this for me:

and I still get 17.8mpg (without the tire up there anyway):D

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried to find a roof rack myself, no luck. Attaching one to the sheet metal will just cause cracks to form later. I went to a friend of mine over at Hannah Racing and he made this for me:

dude he should build more and sell them. i know i would buy one thats for sure. see if he can build more like.

·
You're gonna do what?!
59 Posts
dude he should build more and sell them. i know i would buy one thats for sure. see if he can build more like.
He can. It'll run $900+shipping. That's only if your bed dimensions are the same as mine, that way he can use mine as the template. He also TIG welded mine all others would be MIG welded:D

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He can. It'll run $900+shipping. That's only if your bed dimensions are the same as mine, that way he can use mine as the template. He also TIG welded mine all others would be MIG welded:D
i wont have that kind of money right now at least until june. let him knwo i am interested. what are your dimensions i will check mine and see if its the same. let me know what you measured so i can measure the same areas.

·
You're gonna do what?!
59 Posts
i wont have that kind of money right now at least until june. let him knwo i am interested. what are your dimensions i will check mine and see if its the same. let me know what you measured so i can measure the same areas.
He needs the measurement on the inside of the bed rails, the height from the top of the bed rail to the top of the cab and the distance between the bed and the cab.

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He needs the measurement on the inside of the bed rails, the height from the top of the bed rail to the top of the cab and the distance between the bed and the cab.
i will get those measurements tomorrow how long does it take to do it and is there any way of contacting someone to do or your guy.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
what I would need is something that would attach between the top of the bed and my topper and allow me to carry stuff. Where yours has the round tube along the bed, I would need plate steel that woud stick out a few inches, and then have the upper parts attach to it.

·
You're gonna do what?!
59 Posts
what I would need is something that would attach between the top of the bed and my topper and allow me to carry stuff. Where yours has the round tube along the bed, I would need plate steel that woud stick out a few inches, and then have the upper parts attach to it.
I suppose he could use some round tubing along the sides. How much weight would you want to put up there?

·
Texas Knock Out
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I suppose he could use some round tubing along the sides. How much weight would you want to put up there?
my idea no actually for that is to get that and then use it to store thigns up there on long trips and still have the tailgate tire rack.

·
Registered
333 Posts

That is a sweet rack and i like that you have the summit lights how do you like them?? And how the hell are u getting 17 mpg, i get 12 with my current setup!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts