Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can this be done without something custom? I've already had the rollpan on, and I put the body lift on less than a month ago. It never occured to me that this could be a problem...

A regular hitch will be too low AND stick out, and I think that a hidden-hitch would still be to low, but atleast it'd tuck up in properly.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Sweet, I'm just the expert at this that you'll need! :biggthump

I also noticed this problem when I tried to put on my Cuda rollpan and exhaust tips, and it literally wouldn't go on without the hitch being off or moved. So, after the rollpan and exhaust were done, I noticed the hitch could be relocated foward easily. I measured and thought about it alot, and it would be perfect. There's a little (unused) ~ 3"x4" section of the frame that needs to be cut out. This does not effect the mounting points for the bumper if it needs to be put back on later. The holes need to be redrilled, but that was no biggie. I also put a set of extra bolts in it when I drilled the holes. The hitch can literally only be moved up ~ 3" or so, as it will hit a crossmember on the frame. My girlfriend luckily took some pics, so bare with me as I show you:

Cutting (actually grinding) the frame sections:

Both ends cut and ground down smooth:

Closeup of sections cut:

Best shot of the hitch I have:

Sure the hitch does hang down a bit, but it's not sticking out like it used to. Also, if some car rearends me and the hitch takes most of the impact, it should save most of everything else (of course depending on the speed and weight of the car).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts