Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of a power difference will I feel if I put rockers on my 3.9 v6?
If its worth it, whats a good budget set and what ratio do you suguest 1:6 or 1:7 ? Thanks for any input!
-Cody-

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
cody, there's other routes to go for the money than RR's.(at least $350 ) ie. ECU,TB,electric fan,headers or a proven CAI. good luck!

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
00BlackKota said:
How much of a power difference will I feel if I put rockers on my 3.9 v6?
If its worth it, whats a good budget set and what ratio do you suguest 1:6 or 1:7 ? Thanks for any input!
-Cody-

ya, what 360 said... ^ ^ ^

you stock ration is prolly 1:5. id look around on Ebay or on here for someone selling a set of 1:6`s from a V-8... there are several companies out there (Harland sharp, Crower, MOPAR...) youll get a little more top end is all. even used your looking at ~$200 or so.

·
Your hero
561 Posts
Go with 1.6 roller rockers if you do not want to use the stock camshaft, the 1.6 ratio is the same as stock but since they are rollers you will only gain power from the less friction. If you want to keep the stock cam then go with 1.7 roller rockers. With the stock cam the 1.7's will add lift, a little duration, and reduce friction. So basically... stock cam you are best with 1.7's, and if you end up swaping out camshafts go with the 1.6

·
Your hero
561 Posts
razman131 said:
ya, what 360 said... ^ ^ ^

you stock ration is prolly 1:5. id look around on Ebay or on here for someone selling a set of 1:6`s from a V-8... there are several companies out there (Harland sharp, Crower, MOPAR...) youll get a little more top end is all. even used your looking at ~$200 or so.
Nope, 3.9, 5.2, and 5.9's all come stock with 1.6 rockers.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
MoPaR DaK said:
Nope, 3.9, 5.2, and 5.9's all come stock with 1.6 rockers.

ahhh.... someone mentioned that the stockers were 1:5`s... now i know.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Since most all cams are custom ground for the Magnum engines, you can go ahead and get the 1.7's now, then later you can add a custom ground cam by mearly specifying that it be ground for 1.7 rockers. The advantage is that the 1.6 and 1.7's are usually the same price and you will likely want to take advantage of the RR's anyway.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
well i want to know too. if were talkin about 1/4 times how much would rockers actually help?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm... My buddy said I would notice a big difference through the rpm's rather than just at my power ban which doesn't start till around 2800. I'm also looking at getting a high stall torque converter and shift kit. So, maybe I'll just do that and skip the RR. Thanks for all the great info. This is the most helpful forum I've ever been on!
-Cody-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts