Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking in to purchasing some rock rails/nerf bars for my Durango, having recently removed the side steps that she came with. I'd like something that doesn't hang down so far or stick out so far, but the only thing I've found (made by Westin ) has no step area on it. Any suggestions (other than custom fabrication)?

·
Registered
96 Posts
The Westins I had on my 2K ...

had step holds on them. They were pretty tough too. Those were black. I am going to put some chrome ones on my 2003.

C

·
0 Posts
s-works said:
I'm looking in to purchasing some rock rails/nerf bars for my Durango, having recently removed the side steps that she came with. I'd like something that doesn't hang down so far or stick out so far, but the only thing I've found (made by Westin ) has no step area on it. Any suggestions (other than custom fabrication)?
Im looking to remove my side steps too.. how long did it take? how did you remove it? was it difficult to remove?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It took about 25 minutes to assemble the right tools and pull both runningboards off. As an added bonus, I sold 'em for (I think) around $250. My wife laments their removal (she's quite short), she only rides in the car once or twice a month, so it's not a big deal.

C

·
0 Posts
So S-works what did you end up getting for the replacement to the side skirts? Did you purchase the side tubes with the steps that you wanted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still naked for now, I can't spend the $ on something that isn't functional. I've recently switched to a 9 to 5 (translation: 7:30 to 5:30) job and don't have the free time I used to. Custom fab of these will have to wait. It's a pity, because the cost of materials is pretty low, it's all in the fabrication.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just purchased and installed a set of NASTA nerf bars on my Durango. After looking at all the competition I decided on the NASTA bars because they are 100% Stainless Steel, including all of the mounting hardware and brackets. I highly recommend them. :D

Here's a link to the company I bought from. They sell on eBay also, so you may be able to save a few $$.

T-Rex Motorsports

Shawn

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
If you think you're going to wheel the truck hard, and are making the choice between weak step bars, or rock sliders.....definitely lose the functionality of the steps bars and go with the protection and durability of the sliders. I never wanted to get something that would bend or brake offroad, so I opted out for the ease of getting in the truck. This what my friend and I came up with:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v126/YellowKota2k/Custom rock sliders - flag mount - CB antenna/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Talk to me, dude. How much, built out of what, where'd ya get the mounting pieces (the most important part, the rest would be easy to fab. Can you make a drawing of the mounts, or put it into a PDF file for everyone to view? Can you tell that I'm interested in these? I agree, I have no interest in steps, just protection.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
They got used well about one trip. They worked real well letting the truck drop down on a big rock on the driver side. I'm not sure what the materials cost, since I had a friend take care of that and just paid him when we were all done.

C

·
0 Posts
Nice rock sliders, thats exactly what I was going to make. Is that just 2x3 tubing? If so how thick, 3/16" - 1/4"? I may add step bars onto them like B.I.T does.

Guess its a good thing I'm a metal fabricator, I'd hate to pay those prices. If you guys have access to a mig welder try and learn. You'll never be disapointed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Cowboy said:
Nice rock sliders, thats exactly what I was going to make. Is that just 2x3 tubing? If so how thick, 3/16" - 1/4"? I may add step bars onto them like B.I.T does.

Guess its a good thing I'm a metal fabricator, I'd hate to pay those prices. If you guys have access to a mig welder try and learn. You'll never be disapointed.
Ya what he said, do it your self you will be so much more satisfied with your product knowing whats its made of and having done it yourself. I would say 1/4 would be about right for what you wanna do, im just in the proccess of making stainless nerf bars for my truck, my mount will be different cuz they don't need to be as strong as sliders but just look at other products and you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
488 Posts
AWESOME TRUCK "Yellokoda"

Man, the time you put in that thing.(shaking head) amazing..

Let me ask you this...I have an 04 qc 4x4. Do some wheelin on the wknds, nothing to serious just having a good time. I'm thinking of getting Gibson Exhaust. Is there really a difference in HP Trq with any certain brand or are they all pretty much the same,just sound pref....and do you advise wheelin with the gibson extreme dual exhaust.. Or...just stick to the single sided gibson.

Thnks

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Thanks man, I appreciate it! :biggthump

There's still a LOT to come of the truck, as the two areas to be soon completed have hardly been touched, and will be totally different than before. ;)

As for the exhaust, it's mostly sound preference. I've seen Dynos of MANY different popular muffler brands, and there was only a few minor # differences between the highest and lowest of them out there. The only difference you'd see IMO is in high horsepower applications (super/turbo, stroke/bore, or big block). It's pretty much your decision on what looks and sounds best.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Would you still get the same sound and performance from a single side opposed to a dual exhaust??..

P.S...Where can I get a Lift for my 04 QC. Iv'e searched high and low, cant find anything out there. Thnks again for the help.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
UsRanger11B1V said:
P.S...Where can I get a Lift for my 04 QC. Iv'e searched high and low, cant find anything out there. Thnks again for the help.
Sadly the only thing available that's not custom, is a 3" bodylift. Other than that, it's a custom solid axle swap.

·
UnRegistered Dog
6,714 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts