Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I belive DOT regs say you need x # of sq inches of red reflector on the rear/side of the vehicle.

On regular rear lights, there's is a red reflective portion on it.

The Lexus gets around this by having a rear facing reflector on the bumper that wraps around the side.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Harry5150 said:
I belive DOT regs say you need x # of sq inches of red reflector on the rear/side of the vehicle.

On regular rear lights, there's is a red reflective portion on it.

The Lexus gets around this by having a rear facing reflector on the bumper that wraps around the side.
BINGO.... also....the way that the vehicle is turned,... you might not see the red light thats in a tubular type circle or something....

Paul

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Yea, Lexus relized that you can put a BIG ULGY red spot on the bumper and no one would notice...

But they got some bitching taillights... :rofl:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
What's also interesting is the bulb setup. I thought at first they were LEDs by the way the looked when lit up but looking closer, there is a standard red bulb in there with a chrome cap (similar to some clear headlights) so all you see from the outside is chrome.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
yeah what they said, It's funny if you clear taillights and put big red reflectors on the back of you truck they will still pull you over, but since it's stock it's ok. :bs2:

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
They can't legally pull you over if your vehicle reflects Red from the Back... Course no one does it, so... Guess you could mount some reflectors on the bedrail on some temporary deal that you can easily put inside the bed when "showing" the truck. Keep it legal, and look killer... Hrm... Oh well, no clears for my style o Kota anywho...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input.

So if I have some type of RED reflector on the back I can run my clear tails?

Would there be anyplace I can go to get an official ok?

I will mount them tomorrow or this weekend and post a pic. From there we can try to figure where the best place to put the reflectors are. I am thinking on the roll pan but as I have dual rears there my be an aesthetic conflict.

Thanks again, Neil

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
get a reflective plate frame.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MiniMotoRider said:
I assume you are referring to the license plate frame? If so that is out as I have a carbon fiber frame that I will be keeping.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
arcdesigns said:
Thanks for all the input.

So if I have some type of RED reflector on the back I can run my clear tails?

Would there be anyplace I can go to get an official ok?

I will mount them tomorrow or this weekend and post a pic. From there we can try to figure where the best place to put the reflectors are. I am thinking on the roll pan but as I have dual rears there my be an aesthetic conflict.

Thanks again, Neil
Check your local state laws posted on the internet - most of them specify what is required for lenses and reflection.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
MiniMotoRider said:
That would not cut it. Notice that all stock reflectors are also visible to the sides.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts