Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I am pretty sure that those people had them painted or chromed. I know a few here have done the same.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
:biggthump I painted mine. You can get factory matched spray paint from the dealership. If your gonna do it though get a plastic primer with a flex agent in it. I did about 3 coats of each on mine Primer, paint ( PR4-Flame Red Paint Code) and then clear coat.

·
Old SchooL'!
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adam said:
:biggthump I painted mine. You can get factory matched spray paint from the dealership. If your gonna do it though get a plastic primer with a flex agent in it. I did about 3 coats of each on mine Primer, paint ( PR4-Flame Red Paint Code) and then clear coat.

Did you sand the texture or the primer & paint fill that in? :huh:

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Make sure you get them SMOOTH befor painting. It might look decent if you put alot of primmer on them, but after a couple of months it'll come off. I scuffed a set of taillights for my dad's truck, and shot 3-4 coats of primmer (thin coats, but all together rather thick) and then hit it with about 6 color coats and 4 clears. (It's that damned Silver Pearl that Dodge has, it's hard to get good coverage with it) Anywho, 3 months later I found myself doing it all again, make sure you start with a FLAT SMOOTH surface OR ELSE! (Or so it seems)
We later did a buddies R/T the roof trim, mirrors, handles, and some stuff from underhood. We spent almost an entire day sanding crap to make it smooth, and 4 years later I saw the truck and it all looks GREAT, no cracks nothing!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Great thread! I may just have to try that... White can't be that hard to match from a spray can.

·
Old SchooL'!
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I'll do mine with actual paint being that I'm getting the body kit & painting any way I might as well... I think I'll do the wiper cowl too (I think that is what you call it) the other big nasty black part beind the hood :biggthump: :mullet: :bow: yall rock

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Think of it this way, the more you have painted, the less that isn't! That's a good thing. I really wish I had a paintjob on my darn truck! Arg!

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
It is best that you take your handles out to paint them. Otherwise you risk screwing up the paint that is on your truck and if that happens its probably going to go to a painter anyway. My best advice is to take your time and try not to rush things. Check out www.dodgedakotas.com and look on the home page there should be a link that shows how to paint the handles.

·
Simply Motorsports
478 Posts
WicKed R/T said:
It is best that you take your handles out to paint them. Otherwise you risk screwing up the paint that is on your truck and if that happens its probably going to go to a painter anyway. My best advice is to take your time and try not to rush things. Check out www.dodgedakotas.com and look on the home page there should be a link that shows how to paint the handles.
wow good instructions but wow alot of work involved..thanks for the info might have to try it

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
dont want to sound stupid :brick: , but what is the Haynes manual

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Haynes is a publisher that develops manuals describing the ins and outs of all common cars. You can pick them up at AutoZone.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
At least get the sport mirrors if you're going to paint them. Dont wast time on those huge ones. My cost they are like 76 a piece. So figure under 200 for the set, or you could pick them up used. Or go with an aftermarket mirror. Like the street scene ones, i think they are already smooth.

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
Man I wish I had saw this thread before I painted my handles ...lol oh well we will see how long it last so far its been a few months and they still look good .. hope it lasts...lol :rofl:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts