Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
My horns hold up my halo!
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody ever get onto retreads!?

cant beat a set of MT/R knock offs for $106.00! OR a set of "All Terrains " for under $100.00!!!

check it out!
http://www.treadwright.com/

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
No thanks, I would rather have reliability! There is a limit going cheap, and this crosses that line.,

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
There is a gentleman in my work building with the knock off AT-KOs. He has nothing but great things to say about them.

There is a couple of threads on DodgeTalk about this same company. No one has anything bad to say about em. If I had 16s, I'd try em out!

·
My horns hold up my halo!
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is the same process they use on semi trucks and trailers :huh: dont see any reason they wouldnt work on a truck 1/8th the size...?

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
this is the same process they use on semi trucks and trailers :huh: dont see any reason they wouldnt work on a truck 1/8th the size...?
Yep and most of those tires that blow out on them are retreads...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I drive a tour bus with retreads on the rear and from my personal experience they would be the last thing I would put on my personal vehicle. Any and all tire failures I have had in my 35 plus years of driving commercial vehicles have been with retreads. In my opinion they are crap!! When those treads let go at highway speed they do more damage to your truck that the money you save.
If the guy that is inspecting the casings before capping had a bad night and misses a flaw the cap won't hold.
Fleets use them for cost savings because of the volume of tires they go through.
Ask yourself do you want to scrimp on all that is between you and the road? Buy a little less bling and spend it on decent rubber.
As was said earlier where do you think all that rubber lining the highways comes from?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I drive a tour bus with retreads on the rear and from my personal experience they would be the last thing I would put on my personal vehicle. Any and all tire failures I have had in my 35 plus years of driving commercial vehicles have been with retreads. In my opinion they are crap!! When those treads let go at highway speed they do more damage to your truck that the money you save.
If the guy that is inspecting the casings before capping had a bad night and misses a flaw the cap won't hold.
Fleets use them for cost savings because of the volume of tires they go through.
Ask yourself do you want to scrimp on all that is between you and the road? Buy a little less bling and spend it on decent rubber.
As was said earlier where do you think all that rubber lining the highways comes from?
:twothumb:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
That's per tire. Not a set.

You can get real tires for reasonable prices too...just not the overpriced Goodyear junk.
Yea when I first opened this and saw him saying that I was all for a $100 set of tires haha. These wouldn't be bad for a backup set of mud/offroad only tires I guess, but not something I would want on the highway.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
Hence all the tire treads littering the Interstates...

No thanks....
Yep and most of those tires that blow out on them are retreads...

now im gonna post a link to proof that retreads are no more dangerous than regular tires and littler no more than regular tires.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/C281CB52-2045-416A-A538-FC3536C1695B/0/RetreadTireSynthesis9309.pdf

and i bet you will still argue about it. and you guys need the difference between a blow out and a loss of tread.

and actually i have their tires on my wifes truck...they have the bfg carcass and bridgestone revo tread, over 5000 miles and not a single problem...other than the fact the revo tread doesnt grip as good as the bfg A/T tread.

also look on treadwrights site on how they do the "cap" its just about the same as a brand new tire minus them making the carcass

·
Registered
375 Posts
i work at travel centers of america as a diesel tech, nearly all tires that come in for tread/cap issues are all recaps and its always at the seam at the cap and sidewall. every driver i have spoken with had nothing but bad things to say about them, except the price. i rather put tires that are virgin rubber then tires that have been in service and recapped. if im not mistaken, a tire can only be recapped 3 times before its scrapped.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Rubber has a short life span as is. Not to mention rubber has flex and other qualities. The older it gets the weaker it gets. Say, you put one kind of hardness over another, or one more flexable over another, or one newer over older, They will never bond like the original mold! You have got to be crazy to think it would ever last! Not to mention they are not that much cheaper. With how long they last and the unquality, they should be the 1/3 the cost of new!

·
Registered
546 Posts
From a quick glance I see they have a special micro chunking rubber mix to always have extra siping for good low speed grip (quicker wear though). Sounds cool for a trail set or snow use where they may never see over 65... but it seems most of us won't be caught dead with "highway" tires as a primary set, and leaving the nice meats for temporary use.

After shipping and Ive found alot of places rape you for walk ins, retreads may not be so worth it.

I got a good set of toyo A/Ts (new) for about $160 each; mounted, balanced, alligned and warranteed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I dont know about car or light truck retreads, but Ive been a airline mechanic for a long time. A boeing 737 lands at about 180 mph on retreads I dont remember how many times a tire can be capped but it is not uncommon to see R-16 stamped on tire I'll let you figure out what that means. While I would not run them on my truck. We dont have much tire trouble other than wearing out, So IMO its who put cap on tire

1 - 20 of 42 Posts