Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well 3 gallons of resin and a few hours latter. i have a resined box that will be ready for glass tomorrow and then maybe bondo on wed

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
Man I wish I had 1/3 a clue on what your doing ..lol ..looks like its going to turn out sweet man can't wait to see if all done... :biggthump

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once this box is done im going to be selling the old boxes in my truck if anyone would like to purchase them

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
that is going to look nice, but damn that is alot of work for a aub box.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea but most people wouldnt go this extreme, but for someone to come to me and say can you build me this box, and they are hesitant, you can say feel reasure i know what i am doing, for an example look at my personal vehicle

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
hey, was that my center console in the background your working on for me for my 95 dak???

:joke: :biggthump

looks good man, wish i knew how to do that. id just end up with one big mess, and have to cut all the rest of my hair off (cuz id know id have more in there than on the thing im trying to make....D'oh)

btw--- whats the cost of getting one made up? i aksked a local place to build a sub box for my cousins old truck--99 reg cab 318, put 2 10" in the back, with a custom designed dragon on it. they told me 600.o850.oo (sound right)? they told me if i just carpet it, they wouldnt have to use bondo, and primer and paint, clearcoat, wetsand yatta yatta....

i really would like to get a console made up for mine though, in the same color as my truck too, i think that would be freakin cool.

jim

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the cost for something like you described would be 600-850 sounds right for primed and painted. Id say carpeted around 400. For something like mine painted maybe 900+

for your consle, sent to you painted to match your truck, maybe 250-450 depending on complexity

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,759 Posts
Are you gonna make a career out of one box...

Just kidding - looks good man!

Hey, I have a crazy idea that you may be able to help me with...

I want an overhead console to hold a pair of 6x9's - in the back of my Durango....width wise, where the headliner comes down from the roof and meets the hatch. Problem is: weight, how to secure to the headliner, strength of the headliner & (last but not least), mounting my Boston RM9's into this box - all without blocking the view out the ass end....

Let me know. I'm going to draw something up on ACad within the next week or so for a visual. But let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
for the headliner, i would pull the headliner out to make the mold. put some strips of mdf in the roof and secure them to the roof brace. im not sure what the roof braces look like i havent had a chance to recover my headliner yet :cussing:

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,759 Posts
Yea, I knew I would have to install some addidtional support - but not sure how much. Do you think the a glass box is the way to go, or make something out of mdf? I can do the wood part - just do not have any experience w/glass work. What are the going rates for glass work?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fiberglass is not strong as a flat surface, thats why you should use mdf when ever possible. But fiberglass is strongest on curves. I have no clue what the going rate is maybe 20-45 and hour, dont quote me on that though

·
Registered
329 Posts
drsnoze said:
i just found some resin in my hair :rant:

Sure that wasn't BONG resin??? :rofl:

It's gonna look killer man.

So, do you prime & paint it yourself or work with a seperate shop?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
last time i primed it myself. But when i took it to the body shop they said that the primer i used was poor quality. So they are going to be priming this one

1 - 20 of 33 Posts