Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been itching to get a new muffler and I'm thinking Magnaflow since they have a reputation for not being seriously loud. I just want it to be a little louder and deeper but not too aggressive since i have kids and live in a snobby neighborhood.

The thing thats tripping me up is how big the muffler is that is on my truck now. the body alone is 24". The best size matchup without having to buy new pipes would be the 27". What would that even sound like? Will that length deaden the sound so much that it isnt worth buying a magnaflow or will i still get a nice throaty purr from that size muffler?:huh:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'd start off with 6" and go down from there :D But like a 27" long oval muffler similar to a glass pack might be alright. It'd be really deep and it'd be pretty quiet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. The few I see are either round 6" or oval 4"x9". So you think that would be OK to get that deep sound if I gassed on it pretty hard?

·
Registered
757 Posts
what size motor? and i wouldnt go with a glassback if u dont want it to be really loud.. its basically a straight pipe, or a fart cannon if you will lol

Flowmaster gives 4.7L's a real deep growl... i replaced my flowmaster with a cherry bomb, but i like it loud and snappy!

the v6's... I'd say maybe a flowmaster, it gets raspy tho at like 3-4k rpms, but untill 3k it sounds nice!

And you'll never find a aftermarket muffler the size of our stock muffler... Just get a piece of straight pipe from autozone and measure it up with ur muffler and cut as needed ..

its really all about preference when it comes to exhaust tho, I mean i'd say i love cherry bomb, ppl would say cherry bomb sounds like sh!t... So... best bet, youtube it and search you dakota motor w/ exhausts , theres lots of video clips

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! its a 4.7. I'm going to go with the 18" magnaflow oval XL 3 chamber(Part No: 13266) and just a piece of the strait pipe to make up for the size difference. I have $50 off at advance auto and can get the 18" muffler, clamps, exhaust pipe extension and a nice 18" magnaflow tail pipe(Part No: 35111) shipped for $83. I'll probably put it on around new years.

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
if you have a 4.7, then do what I did, I dumped that long ass muffler. Cut it near the hanger, put a 18 inch piece of pipe and put a dump under the bed. Sounds great, and I noticed more low end. Mine is loud because I have a 3 inch pipe though, the 2.5 will sound good

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i installed the 18" muffler and wow what a difference. It has a seriously deep sound and its around 1.5 times louder. I havent taken it out yet but I can tell my neighbors will know everytime I start it up. This sounds like a big truck now.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I have the 27" long 6" diameter round Magnaflow and I was afraid it would be too quiet, it isn't the muffler I used reminds me of a 70s/80s "RV muffler" except you never saw stainless mufflers back in that day. I wish sometimes it was just a little (not by much) quieter because I like hearing my Classic Rock!!!!
definitely has a better sound than any Flowbomb. my 93 clubcab had a long section of straight exhaust pipe I did have to cut some back to get the long muff in there. I did use a stock Walker tailpipe. My truck is catless however, thanks to a PO.
aside from the volume I really like the exhaust "tone" I hate cackle and I hate drone this muffler has neither.

now to find something that will kill the drone of the inline sixes in my Jeeps; like that 4.0 just not the tell tale inline 6 drone... at one time I could tell a UPS truck coming a mile away because of "that" sound

my 93 Dakota (318) had a Flowbastard on it (single in/dual out) when I bought it; my Sawzall wouldnt saw fast enough for my liking I was so much in a hurry to dump the Flowbomb;

actually I like the sound of true duals and glasspacks--alot-- as long as you use the "long" 'packs, until they start burning out that is... classic old "hot rod" sound; and no I do not need 3" exhaust either; 2 to 2-1/4" tube is plenty especially with true duals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts